Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
His father, Robert Campbell, R.N., was a first cousin of Thomas Campbell, the poet. He was educated at Edinburgh Academy, and Glasgow and Oxford universities, He was fellow and tutor of Queen's College, Oxford (1855-1858), vicar of Milford, Hants (1858-1863), and professor of Greek and Gifford lecturer at the University of St Andrews (1863-1894). In 1894 he was elected an honorary fellow of Balliol College, Oxford.
- Sophocles (2nd ed., 1879)
- Plato, Sophistes and Politicus (1867)
- Theaetetus (2nd ed., 1883)
- Republic (with Benjamin Jowett, 1894)
- Life and Letters of Benjamin Jowett (with EA Abbott, 1897)
- Letters of B. Jowett (1899)
- Life of James Clerk Maxwell (with W Garnett, new ed., 1884)
- A Guide to Greek Tragedy for English Readers (1891)
- Religion in Greek Literature (1898)
- On the Nationalisation of the Old English Universities (1901)
- Verse translations of the plays of Aeschylus (1890)
- Sophocles (1896)
- Tragic Drama in Aeschylus, Sophocles and Shakespeare (1904)
- Paralipomena Sophoclea (1907).
This entry was originally from the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details