Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Glenn Research Center
The Glenn Research Center is located in Cleveland, Ohio between Cleveland Hopkins International Airport and the Metropark. Its current Director is Dr. Julian M. Earls and its Deputy Director is Richard S. Christiansen.
It was established in 1942 as part of the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NACA) (later to become the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) as a laboratory for aircraft engine research.
It was initially named the Aircraft Engine Research Laboratory after funding approval was given in June 1940. It was renamed the Lewis Flight Propulsion Laboratory in 1948.
On March 1, 1999, the Lewis Research Center was officially renamed the NASA John H. Glenn Research Center at Lewis Field after John Glenn (American fighter pilot, astronaut and politician) and George W. Lewis (head of NACA from 1919 to 1947).
- History of Glenn Research Center
- Engines and Innovation: Lewis Laboratory and American Propulsion Technology (NASA SP-4306, 1991) -- An entire book, including photos and diagrams, on-line! Scroll down for "table of contents" link.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details