Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Liberalism in Turkey
This article gives an overview of liberalism in Turkey. It is limited to liberal parties with substantial support, mainly proved by having had a representation in parliament. The sign ⇒ means a reference to another party in that scheme. For inclusion in this scheme it isn't necessary so that parties labeled themselves as a liberal party.
Though liberalism played a role in the modernization ot the Ottoman Empire, Turkey doesn't have a traditional liberal current. Attempts to found liberal or similar parties were most of the time unsuccessful.
Freedom and Unity Party
- 1911: As a reaction to dictatorial tendencies, the liberal Freedom and Unity Party (Hürriyet ve İtilaf Fırkası) is founded.
- 1912: The party is banned.
Ottoman Liberal People's Party / Freedom Party
- 1918: Fethi Okyar founded in 1918 the Ottoman Liberal People's Party (Osmanlı Hürriyet-perver Avan Fırkası)
- 1920: The party disappeared.
- 1930: In an attempt to allow a legal opposition party, Atatürk allowed Okyar to found the Freedom Party (Hürriyet Fırkası), also rendered as Serbest Cumhuriyet Fırkası (Liberal Republic Party).
- 1930: When the party seemed to have success and attracts also non-liberal supporters, Atatürk banned the party.
- 1956: A liberal faction of the Democratic Party founded the Freedom Party (Hürriyet Partisi).
- 1958: The party merged into the Republican People's Party.
New Turkey Party
- 1961: A moderate faction of the former Democratic Party established after the ban of the latter party the New Turkey Party (Yeni Türkiye Partisi).
- 1973: After initital succes the party became unsuccesful and is dissolved.
Liberal Democratic Party
- 1994: Founded on July 26 as Liberal Party by former (Demokrat Parti) members and Besim Tibuk, first president
- 1996: The Liberal Party changed its name to Liberal Democratic Party
- 2002: Besim Tibuk resigns as president on November 25.
- Besim Tibuk
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details