Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Lincoln-Way Community High School District
The Lincoln-Way Community High School District was organized in 1951 by the voters residing in the townships of New Lenox, Frankfort, and Manhattan in the U.S. state of Illinois. The school district serves the communities of Frankfort, Manhattan, Mokena, New Lenox, and portions of Tinley Park and Orland Park. There are two high schools within the district: Lincoln-Way Central and Lincoln-Way East.
Up until 1951, the area surrounding New Lenox did not have a local high school district. The lack of any nearby high school harbored a considerable inconvenience for the four communities. In response, the Board of Education employed the University of Illinois Bureau of Field Services to make a comprehensive study of the community and its educational needs in order to resolve the issue; the final report resulted in a book titled A School for Tomorrow which was been used extensively by the Board of Education, administration, faculty, and architects for both the original planning and continued development of Lincoln-Way.
In June, 1952, another election provided for the approval and construction of the present 70 acre (283,000 m²) central campus. Construction ultimately began in March 1953, and Lincoln-Way proper first opened its doors to students on September 7 1954. The name of the school was selected by one Mrs. Florence Pittman and the board of education officially adopted it as "Lincoln-Way". The charter members of the student body voted to have red and black as their school's colors. Lyrics to the Lincoln-Way Central school song were written by Robert Taylor and Betty Tryon, set to the tune of the University of Chicago pep song.
Bond issues for additions to the original building were approved in 1957, 1960, 1962, and 1969. The 1969 bond issue approved a ninth grade building which was built north of the main building. In 1971 the north building opened up, accomodating 700 students.
A second site, located near Frankfort, was purchased by the Board of Education in 1964. Then in 1971, another site was purchased south of New Lenox in anticipation of future population growth. In December, 1974, the voters approved a $4,985,000 bond issue to develop a new freshman-sophomore building on the Frankfort site. Construction began in the summer of 1975, and the school opened in the fall of 1977. Site purchases and building programs have been an essential part of Lincoln-Way's history because of continuous population growth. During the schools 43 years in existence, enrollment has increased from 304 original students to approximately 4,400 students per school year.
- November 1992: voters agreed to double the size of the East Campus in Frankfort to accommodate growth. Facilities added included a 42 classroom academic wing, a field house and auditorium at the East Campus and a field house at the Central Campus. The expansion was completed in March 1995. In 1993, the Board of Education purchased 80 acres (324,000 m²) in Manhattan Township for a future high school site.
- Fall 1996: Starting with the 1996 school year, all students from the Cherry Hill section of New Lenox Township attended Lincoln-Way High School. With the addition of the Cherry Hill annexation, the current school district boundaries encompass 96 square miles. Also in 1996, the District 210 School Board purchased an additional 76 acres (308,000 m²) for a future high school at 191st Street and Harlem Avenue.
- 1998: citizens of District #210 approved a $60 million dollar building bond referendum to split the existing high school 2-2 configuration into two separate four year high schools, add to the existing two schools an academic wing with 50 classrooms at each campus, put a fine arts auditorium and music classrooms at Central and build swimming pools at each campus.
- 1999: a portion of Jackson Township was annexed into Lincoln-Way High School District 210. This increased the total size of the district to 105 square miles. Students from that portion of Jackson Township now attend Lincoln-Way.
- Fall, 2001: Lincoln-Way High School split into two four-year schools, named Lincoln-Way Central High School and Lincoln-Way East High School. Central retained the red and black school colors as well as the Knights mascot. Lincoln-Way East adopted the colors cobalt blue, black and white with the Griffins as their mascot.
- 2001: Lincoln-Way High School District 210 celebrated its 50th anniversary.
- January 2003: Lincoln-Way High School District 210 purchased 100 acres (405,000 m²) at the corner of Illinois Highway and Gougar Road in New Lenox Township. The District has three sites for future expansion.
- July 2004: Lincoln-Way High School District 210 purchased 90 acres (364,000 m²) on the west side of Harlem Avenue and South of the Vollmer Road intersection. The district currently has four sites for future expansion.
- September 7 2004: Lincoln-Way celebrated its 50th Anniversary of opening its doors to students.
Each year the Lincoln-Way district continues to grow, gaining an average of 250 students per annum. Both Lincoln-Way East and Central are built to accomodate 3750 students. During the 2004-2005 school year, Lincoln-Way East had a total of 3400 students, with 2700 students at Lincoln-Way Central.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details