Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
List of freeware games
Freeware refers to software that can be used, downloaded, or distributed free of charge.
Games that are free but suggest a donation or fee, or require purchase for extended play time, new content and other features, are Shareware. See List of shareware games for such games.
- 123 Free Solitaire, one of the top stand-alone solitaire downloads on the internet. Yearly editions swap out 4 of the 12 games included. A game option includes being able to change the card-back designs.
- America's Army, first-person shooter developed and distributed by US Army 
- Angband (another popular RPG in the roguelike family), and its many variants. The most comprehensive resource for Angband is at http://thangorodrim.net. Source code of Angband is also available, but it is not Free software. However, there is an effort ongoing to re-license Angband under the GNU GPL.
- Continuum, a two-dimensional top-down space shooter game with massively multiplayer capabilities. Formerly known as SubSpace.
- CrateMaster is a free Tetris clone/parody by Longbow Digital Arts. It was used to promote the game Tread Marks in a high score contest on the Old Man Murray website. Gameplay consists solely of making a row of three crates, a tongue-in-cheek reference to the Crate Review System featured on that site.
- Dance With Intensity clones dance game Dance Dance Revolution
- DominateGame is an online Risk-like game here.
- Eastside Hockey Manager , hockey manager game.
- GunBound, a free Worms like game at http://www.gunbound.net .
- Little Fighters 2 is a side-scrolling fighting game available here.
- Orbiter, a spaceflight simulator with an emphasis on realistic orbital mechanics 
- PlaneShift is a freely available and Open Source MMORPG in development.
- Progress Quest, a parody of Everquest and the MMORPG genre, focuses on pure character building with no interaction involved.
- Reality-on-the-norm a bunch of user made adventure games downloadable from 
- Simutrans: a game that focuses on building a transportation network and is similar to Transport Tycoon.
- Smashing Pumpkins into Small Piles of Putrid Debris (SPISPOPD), a 1993 DOS based top down shooter by Jamul software, jokingly based off a Doom newsgroup thread. (archived link)
- Soldat, a popular 2D multiplayer online shooter
- Steel Panthers: World at War , plus several other remakes of older strategy games from Matrix Games .
- SPMBT: Steel Panthers Main Battle Tank 
- SPWW2: Steel Panthers World War 2 
- Vega Strike, an open-source space combat/trading simulator inspired by Wing Commander: Privateer and Elite.
- Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, a standalone multiplayer expansion to Return to Castle Wolfenstein. 
Commercial games released as freeware
- UberWG Software Department - Arkanoid3D.NET
- Abuse, a 1995 side-scrolling action game by Crack dot Com , released as freeware.
- Akalabeth a.k.a "Ultima 0" by Lord British.
- B-17 Flying Fortress, by Microprose.
- Beneath a Steel Sky by Revolution Software. 
- Betrayal at Krondor, 1993 release by Sierra On-Line, release as freeware 1997.
- Caesar, 1991 release by Impressions.
- Castle of the Winds a tile based RPG for Windows 3.x, written by SaadaSoft.
- Decisive Battle of WWII: The Adrennes Offensive , released as freeware by SSG. 
- Derek Smart's infamous Battlecruiser 3000AD. 
- Dink Smallwood, 1997 RPG by RTsoft released as freeware on 17 October 1999. 
- Elite and Elite Plus. 
- Flight of the Amazon Queen by Interactive Binary Illusions . 
- Frederik Pohl's Gateway part 1, adventure game, based on book by same author.
- Grand Theft Auto, first game of the GTA-series. 
- Grand Theft Auto 2, second game of the GTA-series. 
- Hidden & Dangerous Deluxe, a 1999 game by Illusion Softworks . 
- One Must Fall: 2097, (1994) classic fighting game by Diversions Entertaintment .
- Ports Of Call . 
- Red Baron, 1990 fight simulator by Dynamix.
- Rise of the Dragon , 1990 release by Dynamix.
- Star Control II, the classic space adventure by Toys for Bob was GPL'ed and renamed as The Ur-Quan Masters. 
- Starsiege: Tribes and Tribes 2, were released as freeware May 2004.
- The Elder Scrolls: Arena, 1994 game that was released as freeware in 2004.
- Lord British's Ultima IV
- Wild Metal - 
- Zork I, II, III & The Undiscovered Underground 
Some of the games mentioned can be found at:
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details