Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
List of publications in geology
Principles of Geology
- Author: Charles Lyell
- Publication data: 1830–1833.
- Online version: Online version at esp.org
- Description: The work's subtitle was "An Attempt to Explain the Former Changes of the Earth's Surface by Reference to Causes now in Operation", and this explains Lyell's impact on science: he was, along with the earlier John Playfair, the major advocate of the then-controversial idea of uniformitarianism, that the earth was shaped entirely by slow-moving forces acting over a very long period of time. This was in contrast to catastrophism, a geologic idea that went hand-in-hand with the age of the earth suggested by biblical chronology. In various revised editions (twelve in all, through 1872), Principles of Geology was the most influential geological work in the middle of the 19th century, and did much to put geology on a modern footing.
- Importance: Topic creator, Breakthrough, Influence
'Victor Moritz Goldschmidt: Father of Modern Geochemistry' by Brian Mason (ISBN 0-941809-03X)
The Evolution of the Igneous Rocks
- Norman L. Bowen
- Published: 1928
Report on the Geology of the Henry Mountains
- Grove Karl Gilbert
- 1877 U.S.G.S. Professional Paper
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details