Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
The earliest parts of the village (the "church village") lie above the waterfall hidden by a twist of the valley from view from the sea. This protected them from the attention of sea maurauders, the Vikings and the Irish. After the mid-eighteenth century the sea became safer and a "beach village" and small sea port developed. By 1825 Llangrannog commercial activity was largely concerned with the sea. A number of ships were built on the sands, the largest the "Ann Catherine" a brig of 211 tons. The last developments, in the 1860's, were the "ribbon village" which connected the beach and church villages; and extension of the beach village on the southern slope of the valley. Partly this accommodated the increasing local population, but also for the beginnings of tourism.
The economy is now dominated by tourism. By the beach there is a shop; two pubs (Y Llong, the Ship; and the Pentre arms), a cafe and a snack bar.
- Llangrannog by J Geraint Jenkins, published by Llangrannog Conuty Council
- The story of Llangrannog by Mervyn Davies.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details