Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Lots Road Power Station
Lots Road Power Station was a coal-fired power station adjacent to the River Thames in Lots Road near Victoria railway station in London, England which supplied electric power to the London Underground system.
Construction started in 1902 in order to provide power to the Metropolitan Railway (now Metropolitan Line) and the Metropolitan District Railway (now the District Line) to allow them to change from steam to electric powered trains. Completed in 1905, it was claimed at that time to be the largest power station ever built.
The property company which now owns the site wishes to convert the station into shops restaurants and apartments and to construct additional buildings, including two skyscrapers on the adjoining vacant land. This scheme is presently on hold because Kensington and Chelsea Council refused planning permission for one of the towers. The other, which is actually the taller of the two, has been granted permission by Hammersmith and Fulham Council, but the developer is unwilling to proceed without permission for both towers, and may take the matter to a public enquiry.
The site was adjacent to the Cremorne Pleasure Gardens .
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details