Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Lyttelton, New Zealand
Lyttelton (43.6000° S, 172.7167° E) is a port town located on the north shore of Lyttelton Harbour on Banks Peninsula, 12 km by road from Christchurch on the eastern coast of the South Island of New Zealand. According to the 2001 census, the usually-resident population of Lyttelton (including neighbouring bays such as Rapaki and Corsair Bay) was 3042.
The harbour is an inlet on the north-western side of Banks Peninsula, extending 18 kilometres inland from the southern end of Pegasus Bay. It is surrounded by steep hills, formed from the sides of an extinct volcanic crater, that rise to a height of 500 m. Several smaller settlements are dotted along the shore of the harbour, notably Governor's Bay and Diamond Harbour. A small island, Quail Island sits in the upper harbour to the southwest of Lyttelton.
Lyttelton was formerly called Port Cooper and Port Victoria. It was the original settlement in the district (1850). The name Lyttelton was given to it in honour of George William Lyttelton of the Canterbury Association, which had led the colonisation of the area.
The Lyttelton Times was one of the principal newspapers of the Canterbury region for eighty years, published from 1851 until 1929, at which time it became the Christchurch Times until publication ceased in 1935.
One of the features of Lyttelton is one of the world's few remaining working Timeball stations. Much of the building is now used as an art gallery, containing the works of traditional artists from the days of historic Lyttelton.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details