Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
MP3 Newswire is one of the earliest news sites focused on digital media technology. Inspired by the success of the Diamond Rio, the site began in December of 1998, initially to review and report on products and technological advances. It quickly evolved and stories grew from straight technical news articles to business commentaries supporting the growth of digital media as an industry and essays that encouraged debate on copyright and fair use among the readership.
Columnists include the site's founder Richard Menta, Jon Newton, Helen McGovern, Colin Stoner, Robert Menta, Thomas Mennecke, and George Ziemann.
Select Essays and Reviews
- Menta, Richard: undated 1999 They Might Be Giants release First MP3 Only Album
- Menta, Richard: November 15 1999 Wanna be a Cyber DJ? Home Webcasting in 10 Minutes
- Ruffo, Stan: November 18, 1999 RIAA vs. Internet Radio - An Open Letter
- Menta, Richard: December 9 1999 RIAA Sues Music Startup Napster for $20 Billion
- Menta, Richard: January 11, 2000 1200 Song MP3 Portable is a Milestone Player - Review of the first hard drive based MP3 portable
- Menta, Richard: February 20, 2000 Is MP3 Music a Perishable Product? - Essay that first explored the theory that consumers shared files to sample music before purchasing.
- McGovern, Helen: March 6, 2000 Adventures in MP3 Part 1 and Adventures in MP3 Part 2 - Beginner's foray into MP3
- Dolendi, Dave: May 22 2000 RIAA v. NAPSTER in Layman's Terms
- Menta, Richard: June 16 2000 MP3: You Can't Catch Me
- Menta, Richard: August 3, 2000 Priced to Lose? Labels Sell Music Online
- Menta, Robert: September 26, 2000 Sony Forces The Offspring to Cancel MP3 Giveaway
- Menta, Richard: October 28, 2000 Did Napster Take Radiohead's New Album to Number 1?
- Menta, Richard: November 27 2000 The Top 10 Tested MP3 Portables For Xmas 2000 - Photos and reviews of first generation MP3 players
- Menta, Richard: Jan 16, 2001 Who Will Buy EMusic com? - Business case for the eMusic service.
- Menta, Richard: Feb 21, 2001 Napster Makes $1 Billion Settlement Offer - The record industry should have taken it.
- Menta, Richard: May 17, 2001 MusicNet and Duet: downloads expire after 30 days - Commentary on the record industry's rent-a-song-download plan
- Menta, Richard: May 31 2001 Sue, Settle and Buy. The Net Music Shopping Spree
- Menta, Robert: June 7, 2001 MusicNet Naps with Napster
- Menta, Richard: July 20, 2001 Napster Clones Crush Napster. Take 6 out of the Top 10 Downloads on CNET
- Menta, Richard: August 9, 2001 6 CDs a Year - Business case on how cheap digital music downloads can offer a tiered pricing scheme to supplement CD sales
- Menta, Richard: October 8, 2001 Devaluing the Product - Copyright-protected CDs
- Menta, Richard: October 19 2001 NetRadio.com Dies - The death of American Net radio industry
- Menta, Richard: October 23, 2001 The Napster version of "Reefer Madness"
- Menta, Richard: November 20, 2001 Will retailers continue to support copy-protected CDs?
- Menta, Richard: November 30, 2001 Three Lawsuits and a Funeral
- Menta, Richard: December 19, 2001 Review: IBM's 1GB Microdrive
- Menta, Richard: December 31, 2001 MP3 2001 in Review: The Winners
- Menta, Richard: December 31, 2001 MP3 2001 in Review: The Losers
- Mennecke, Thomas: January 30, 2002 Review: eDonkey2000
- MP3 Newswire Staff: February 4, 2002 Online Movies, Taiwanese Law, and the American Film Industry
- Menta, Richard: May, 1 2002 Net Radio Goes Silent
- Menta, Richard: July 22, 2002 Research: File Traders Buy Records?
- Menta, Richard: August 20 2002 US Attorney General Pushed to Go After File Traders
- Menta, Richard: September 30, 2002 Research: 1/4th of U.S. Downloaders Would Pay for Fee-Based Online Music
- Menta, Richard: October 13, 2002 Review: The Archos Jukebox Multimedia - review of the first personal media player (PMP)
- Newton, Jon: October 14, 2002 Can I borrow your computer while you're asleep, please? - Altnet
- Menta, Richard: October 21, 2002 Raising the Barriers to Entry
- Menta, Richard: November 11, 2002 Consumer Attitudes and the Record Industry
- Newton, Jon: November 25, 2002 P2P: They can slow it down, but they can't kill it, says new research paper
- Menta, Richard: December 7, 2002 Ipsos-Reid: More Americans Taste Tunes on Net
- Newton, John: December 17 2002 Jon Johansen v Hollywood
- Menta, Richard: January 5, 2003 The MP3 Winners of 2002
- Menta, Richard: January 5, 2003 The MP3 Losers of 2002
- Mennecke, Thomas: January 27, 2003 The Future of WinMX
- Mennecke, Thomas: January 30, 2003 So You Want Some Movies
- Menta, Richard: March 16, 2003 Ipsos-Reid Research: File Traders Feel Activities Are Not Wrong
- Menta, Richard: April 12, 2003 Will Apple Buy Universal Music?
- Menta, Richard: April 13, 2003 PROOF That File Trading Sells DVDs...Sort Of
- Ziemann, George: April 17, 2003 The Music Piracy Myth
- Higgins, Cory & Tannam, Ciarán: May 18, 2003 Slyck’s Guide to BitTorrent
- Menta, Richard: June 1, 2003 Copy Protection and the Reasonable Man
- Ziemann, George: July 1, 2003 Thomas Edison, Intellectual Property and the Recording Industry Part I,Part II, Part III, Part IV, Part V
- Menta, Richard: July 06, 2003 Efficiency of the Market
- Menta, Richard: August 23, 2003 CDs and the Scarcity Principle
- Menta, Richard: August, 26 2003 Review: The Archos AV320 MediaBox
- Menta, Richard: September 10, 2003 The RIAA Settles Fast With 12-year-old File Trader
- Ziemann, George: October, 14 2003 RIAA Sequentially Repeating Edison's Mistakes
- Menta, Richard: December 1, 2003 MP3 Newswire Celebrates Five Years
- Menta, Richard: January 2, 2004 The Digital Media Winners of 2003
- Menta, Richard: January 2, 2004 The Digital Media Losers of 2003
- Newton, Jon: January 17 2004 Morpheus 4 is Here and Legal
- Newton, Jon: February 25, 2004 Grey Album goes Gold
- Menta, Richard: April 22, 2004 Sarbanes-Oxley Act Will Help Record Artists
- Menta, Richard: July 15 2004 Thump: Oakley's MP3 Sunglasses
- Mennecke, Thomas: September 1, 2004 Interview With a Victim of the RIAA
- Menta, Richard: September 24, 2004 California State Bill 1506 - File Traders Get Mark of Caine
- Menta, Richard: September 26, 2004 Online Movie Download Sales To Grow
- Menta, Richard: October 14, 2004, iPod Killers for Christmas Part I, Part II, Part III, Part IV, Part V
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details