Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
The McCaughey septuplets (Natalie, Joel, Kenny, Nathan, Brandon, Kelsey and Alexis McCaughey) are the world's first surviving set of septuplets. They were born in Des Moines, Iowa on November 19, 1997, nine weeks prematurely, to Kenny and Bobbi McCaughey (pronounced "McCoy"), residents of the nearby town of Carlisle. The McCaughey septuplets have one sister, Mikayla (born January 3, 1996).
The septuplets were conceived as the result of fertility drugs. When the couple discovered that Bobbi was carrying seven fetuses, they declined selective reduction to reduce the number of fetuses, saying that they would "put it in God's hands." As the result of being born prematurely, several of the septuplets have medical problems; for example, Alexis and Nathan have cerebral palsy.
The birth attracted significant media attention, both positive and negative. The McCaugheys were the recipients of many generous donations, including a 5,500 ft² (510 m²) house, a van and a lifetime supply of diapers. However the birth touched off a firestorm about the ethics of infertility treatments, particularly those resulting in multiple births.
- Alexis: Her cerebral palsy has damaged her speech ability and cognitive skills. She needs to use a walker to get around, but enjoys attracting people's attention. Alexis enjoys being next to her brother Nathan.
- Brandon: Brandon is the tallest one of the septuplets. He feels he is the strongest kid in his family, and he has a soft side for animals, including the family's cat, Cattie. Brandon also enjoys baseball.
- Joel: Hyperactive and happy-go-lucky Joel is learning how to drive bikes. He is also an avid roller skater.
- Kelsey: Shy and withdrawn, she is the quiet one of the McCaughey septuplets group. But she does enjoy sneaking up on her siblings from time to time, playfully taking away items they are using, or hiding to try to scare them.
- Kenny: Kenny's nickname is "Bert". He enjoys being in front of seemingly dangerous situations, and he tries to motivate his siblings to face challenges without fear.
- Natalie: Natalie wants to become a ballet dancer. She spends a large amount of time practicing this type of dance. But she could be bossy sometimes, and she may scold one of her siblings if she sees them do anything she thinks is wrong.
- Nathan: Nathan also has speech and cognitive complications, due to his cerebral palsy. He also requires a walker. He features a gap-toothed smile. Nathan enjoys a special relationship with Alexis; the two are practically inseparable as they both suffer the same disease and enjoy the same things.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details