Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Although a choice residential district, access to the railway (RER) and Seine have made Meudon a manufacturing center since the 1840's. Metal products and military explosives have been continuously produced here since then.
Located about 8 kilometers to the south-west of Paris, the village of Meudon is built on the hills and valleys of the Seine. The wood of Meudon lies for the most part to the west of the town. The northwest part of Meudon, overlooking the Seine, is known as Bellevue ("beautiful view").
Archaeological sites show that Meudon has been populated since neolithic times.
The Celts called the area Mol-Dum (sand dune) — and the Romans latinized the name as Moldunum.
The handsome Galliera Institutions, on the hill of Fleury, were founded by the duchess of Galliera for the care of aged persons and orphans. The buildings were completed in 1885.
In the 16th century the cardinal, Charles of Lorraine, built at Meudon a magnificent chateau, which was destroyed in 1803. The present remains belong to a building erected by the Dauphin, son of Louis XIV.
What is today ONERA, a national research institute on aerospace topics, has been a presence since the military opened its aerostatic (lighter-than-air) field in the Chalais park in 1877. From 1921 to 1981 the Air Museum was located here until it moved to Le Bourget airport.
CNRS has a campus in Bellevue.
Rodin's villa and grave are located here, now a museum of his art.
Richard Wagner was a resident of Meudon.
The artist May Alcott lived here until her death.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details