Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
The given name Michael or Micha'el (מִיכָאֵל "who is like God" or "likened unto God"; Standard Hebrew Miḫaʾel, Tiberian Hebrew Mîḵāʾēl; Septuagint Greek Μιχαηλ, Mikhaēl) derives from the name of the archangel Michael mentioned in the Bible, who is also considered a saint by Catholics. The name has been particularly popular in Orthodox nations, and was borne by several rulers of the Byzantine and Russian empires.
Other forms of the name Michael
- ميخائيل (Mikha'il) – Arabic
- Mikel – Basque
- Miquel Catalan
- 麥可 (mài kě) - Chinese (Mandarin)
- Mygal – Cornish
- Mihovil – Croatian
- Michal – Czech, Slovak
- Miikael – Estonian
- Mikael – Danish
- Michiel – Dutch
- Mikelo – Esperanto
- Mikko – Finnish
- Michel – French
- Miguel – Galician
- მიხეილი (Mikheili) – Georgian
- Michael – German
- Μιχαήλ/Μιχάλης (Mikhaíl/Mikhális) – Greek
- Mikala – Hawaiian
- Mihaly – Hungarian
- Mícheál – Irish
- Michele – Italian
- マイケル (ma i ke ru) - Japanese
- 마이클 (ma i keul) - Korean
- Miķelis – Latvian
- Mikalos – Lithuanian
- Michał – Polish
- Miguel – Portuguese
- Mihai – Romanian
- Михаил (Mikhail) – Russian
- Mikkel – Scandinavian
- Micheal – Scottish
- Mihajlo – Serbian
- Mihael – Slovenian
- Miguel – Spanish
- Mikael – Swedish
- Mikail – Turkish
- Михайло (Mykhailo) – Ukrainian
- also Mихаїл (Mykhayil, especially biblical, influenced by Church Slavonic)
- diminutive: Михась (Мykhas’), Михайлик (Mykhailyk), Михасик (Mykhasyk), Михасько (Mykhas’ko), Місько (Mis’ko), Місьо (Mis’o)
- Meical – Welsh
Notable people named Michael
- Michael I (811-813)
- Michael II (811-813)
- Michael III (820-829)
- Michael IV (1034-1041)
- Michael V (1041-1042)
- Michael VI (1056-1057)
- Michael VII (1067-1078)
- Michael VIII Palaeologus (1259-1282)
- Michael Buffer, boxing ring announcer ("Let's get ready to rumble!)
- Michael Caine, Academy Award winning British actor.
- Michael Crichton, physician turned best selling author.
- Michael J. Fox, Canadian-born actor and spokesman for Parkinson's Disease
- Michael Jackson, music's "King of Pop"
- Michael Jordan, basketball legend.
- Michael Eisner, Ex-CEO of The Walt Disney Company.
- Michael Douglas, American film actor and producer.
- Michael Hutchence, lead singer of Australian rock band INXS.
- Michael Moore, American documentarian (Fahrenheit 9/11) and social commentator.
- Michael Myers, iconic antagomnist of Halloween film series
- Michael Palin, member of the Monty Python comedy troupe.
- Michael Schumacher, German Formula One driver.
- Michael Wilbon, sports columnist (Washington Post) and ESPN commentator.
- Michael Nesmith, member of the Monkees
- Michael Keaton, actor
See also: List of names referring to El
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details