Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Born in Idaho Falls, Idaho, Crapo earned a B.A. from Brigham Young University in 1973 and J.D. from Harvard University School of Law in 1977. He served as clerk to an appeals court judge and then returned to Idaho to become a lawyer. While practicing law in Moscow, Idaho in the 1980s, he was active in the Republican Party's campaigns for seats in the state legislature. He was elected to the state senate in 1984.
Crapo was a member of the state senate from 1985 until 1992, when he was elected to the United States House of Representatives. He was a member of the House from 1993 until 1999, being re-elected in 1994 and 1996. He was elected to the United States Senate in 1998, gaining the seat of Republican Dirk Kempthorne, who ran for governor and was elected to that position. Crapo was re-elected in 2004 with 99% of the vote, with the other 1% going to write-in candidates. He was the only Senate candidate in 2004 to run completely unopposed on the ballot. Some Republicans want him to be appointed to a high position in the Senate Republican leadership because his seat is considered one of the 'safest' in the entire Senate.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details