Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Mikoyan, Mikoyan-Gurevich, or MiG (Russian: Микоян, Микоян-Гуревич or МиГ) is a Russian military aircraft manufacturer. It was formerly a Soviet design bureau, and was founded by Artem Mikoyan and Mikhail Gurevich as "Mikoyan-Gurevich." Upon Mikoyan's death, Gurevich's name was dropped from the name of the bureau. "MiG" is the bureau prefix.
List of MiG Aircraft
- MiG-1, 1940
- MiG-3, 1941
- MiG-5, 1942
- MiG-7, 1944
- MiG-9, "Fargo", 1947
- Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-13, 1950
- MiG-13 (aka MiG I-250 (N)), 1945
- MiG-15, "Fagot", 1948, a contemporary of the F-86 Sabre and used widely in the Korean War
- MiG-17, "Fresco", 1954
- MiG-19, "Farmer", 1955, MiG's first supersonic fighter
- MiG-21, "Fishbed", a contemporary of the F-4 Phantom II
- MiG-23, "Flogger-A", 1974, a variable-geometry interceptor
- MiG-25, "Foxbat", 1966, a Mach 3 interceptor
- MiG-27,"Flogger-D/J", 1973, a ground-attack aircraft derived from the MiG-23,
- MiG-29, "Fulcrum", 1983, comparable to the US F-16 Fighting Falcon.
- MiG-31, "Foxhound", 1983, a derivative of the MiG-25.
- MiG-33, "Fulcrum", 1989, a glass cockpit version of the MiG-29.
- The MiG-28 is a fictitious aircraft used in the 1986 movie Top Gun. They were portrayed by disguised F-5 Tiger II aircraft.
- The MiG-31 "Firefox" was the subject of two novels (Firefox and Firefox Down ) and a 1982 movie. To add to the confusion, the real MiG-31 "Foxhound" has an aerial search radar named "Foxfire."
- The MiG-37 "Ferret-E" is a plastic model kit created by Italeri (also sold by Testors).
MiGs follow the convention of using odd numbers for fighter aircraft. So although the MiG-8 and MiG-110 exist, they are not fighters. The MiG-105 "Spiral" was designed as an Orbital Intercepter, whose contemporary was the USAF Dyna-Soar. The Spiral Project was cancelled however.
- Official site of MiG "OKB" successor enterprise
- Russian Aviation Museum MiG Pages
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details