Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Milo, New York
The Town of Milo is on the east border of the county.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 114.7 km² (44.3 mi²). 99.4 km² (38.4 mi²) of it is land and 15.3 km² (5.9 mi²) of it is water. The total area is 13.37% water.
As of the census2 of 2000, there are 7,026 people, 2,824 households, and 1,790 families residing in the town. The population density is 70.7/km² (183.1/mi²). There are 3,422 housing units at an average density of 34.4/km² (89.2/mi²). The racial makeup of the town is 97.37% White, 0.63% African American, 0.24% Native American, 0.28% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.34% from other races, and 1.10% from two or more races. 0.87% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There are 2,824 households out of which 30.2% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.3% are married couples living together, 11.4% have a female householder with no husband present, and 36.6% are non-families. 30.8% of all households are made up of individuals and 15.5% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.43 and the average family size is 3.02.
In the town the population is spread out with 26.3% under the age of 18, 8.0% from 18 to 24, 26.3% from 25 to 44, 21.9% from 45 to 64, and 17.5% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 38 years. For every 100 females there are 93.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there are 88.4 males.
The median income for a household in the town is $31,102, and the median income for a family is $38,547. Males have a median income of $28,475 versus $20,109 for females. The per capita income for the town is $16,819. 13.8% of the population and 9.6% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 18.8% of those under the age of 18 and 8.7% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line.
Communities and locations in Milo
- Himrod -- A hamlet in the southeast part of the town at the junction of Routes 1 and 36.
- Keuka Mills -- A hamlet east of Penn Yan on Keuka Lake Outlet.
- Keuka Lake Outlet -- A stream connecting Keuka Lake to Seneca Lake.
- Mays Mills -- A hamlet east of Penn Yan on Keuka Lake Outlet.
- Milor -- A location east of Milo Center.
- Milo Center -- A hamlet near the town center.
- Milo Mills -- A hamlet east of Penn Yan on Keuka Lake Outlet.
- Penn Yann -- The Village of Penn Yan is at the north town line and at the north end of Keuka Lake.
- Randall Crossing -- A location in the southeast part of the town.
- Second Milo -- A hamlet east of Willow Grove.
- Seneca Mills -- A hamlet east of Penn Yan on Keuka Lake Outlet.
- Thayer Corners -- A location between Willow Grove and Second Milo.
- Townsend Crossing -- A location in the east part of the town.
- Willow Grove -- A hamlet on the shore of Keuka Lake and located on Route 54.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details