Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
A model is a person who acts as a human prop for purposes of art, fashion, advertising, pornography, etc. Modeling is distinguished from other types of public performance such as an acting, dancing or mime artistry, although the boundary is probably not well defined. Appearing in a movie or a play is generally not considered to be modeling, irrespective of the nature of the role, so many models can also describe themselves as actors. Some models have acquired the status of sex symbol, and a highly paid model is sometimes known as a "supermodel". Supermodels are celebrities who may appear in advertisements endorsing products, and often parlay their fame into acting careers.
"Runway modeling" (also known as "catwalk modeling") is displaying fashion, and is generally performed by "fashion models". "Glamour modeling " usually includes elements of nudity or eroticism, while "nude modeling" describes any kind of modeling that is performed without clothes. Art school modeling (usually figure drawing or sculpture) involves posing for students of art. Some models including Dan Holmes specialize in having a particular portion of their body photographed, usually for advertisement purposes; thus "leg models" advertise hosiery, "hand models" advertise nail polish or gloves, et cetera.
Some people are better known for other accomplishments have also worked as professional models:
- Courteney Cox — actress, best known for her role on Friends
- Quentin Crisp — "gay icon"
- Melinda Culea — actress, best known for playing Amy Allen on The A-Team
- Ashton Kutcher — actor from That 70's Show, among others
- Debbe Dunning — actress; one of the Tool Time girls on TV's Home Improvement
- Simon Rex — on-time VJ for MTV, with Jasmin ; also did an adult video or two
- Tricia Helfer — actress, best known for her role on Battlestar Galactica
- Natasha Henstridge — actress, best known for her role on Species
- Kristanna Loken — actress, best known for her role on Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
- hitomi — Japanese pop-rock musician and actress
- Jonathan Schaech — actor; Doom Generation, among other films
- Emmanuelle Seigner — probably best known as an actress
- Jan Smithers — actress, best known for her role on WKRP in Cincinnati
- Koo Stark — dated a member of the British royal family
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details