Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
In 1806-1812 a fortress was constructed here by the orders of Napoleon Bonaparte. It was later expanded by Russians in the 19th century and renamed to Aleksandriysk. Intended as a major stronghold guarding the bridges over Vistula and Bugo-Narew, it was captured by German forces during the First World War in 1915, with little resistance from the already-routed Russians.
After the First World War Modlin became part of Poland and was modernised with modern bunkers, anti-tank and anti-aircraft equipment. Its main purpose was to provide cover for Warsaw from enemy attacks from the North. The fortress also housed several military barracks and military colleges for NCOs.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details