Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
|Ceremonial County:||Greater London|
|Post Office and Telephone|
Mottingham was originally a hamlet in Eltham parish. The earliest records of Mottingham are from 862 AD when it was recorded as Modingahema, which means the land of Moda's people (commonly interpreted as - the proud place).
A key year in the history of Mottingham was 1866. This is when the area became connected to the railway system with the construction of Mottingham station (then known as Eltham station). In the same year, Mottingham received separate civil status thus separating itself politically from Eltham.
The first church in Mottingham was St Andrews Church on Court Road and was established in 1884, which further helped establish Mottingham as separate from Eltham.
A local landmark is Eltham College, a private school founded in 1842 as the London Missionary Society's School for the Sons of Missionaries and which moved to its present site in Mottingham in 1912. It is notable for educating politician Fenner Brockway, Olympic athlete Eric Liddell and Gormenghast author Mervyn Peake.
Mottingham station is in Travel card Zone 4.
Nearest railway stations:
- Grove Park station
- Mottingham station
- New Eltham station
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details