Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington is a 1939 film which tells the story of an idealistic young man, chosen to fill the unexpired term of a dead Senator, and becomes disillusioned by the corruption he sees in Washington. It stars Jean Arthur, James Stewart, Claude Rains, Edward Arnold, Guy Kibbee , Charles Lane, and Thomas Mitchell.
It is best remembered for a climactic scene in which Stewart uses a lengthy filibuster and then collapses.
The film was written by Lewis R. Foster and Sidney Buchman , and directed by Frank Capra.
- Best Picture (nomination)
- Best Actor (nomination) - James Stewart
- Best Supporting Actor (nomination) - Claude Rains
- Best Supporting Actor (nomination) - Harry Carey
- Best Writing, Original Screenplay - Lewis R. Foster and Sidney Buchman
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details