Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Nagy-Küküllő is the name of a historic administrative county (comitatus) of the Kingdom of Hungary. Its territory is presently in central Romania (central Transylvania). Nagy-Küküllő is the Hungarian name for the river Târnava Mare. The capital of the county was Sighişoara (Romanian, Segesvár in Hungarian).
Nagy-Küküllő county shared borders with the Hungarian counties Alsó-Fehér, Kis-Küküllő, Udvarhely, Háromszék, Brassó, Fogaras and Szeben. The river Târnava Mare/Nagy-Küküllő formed part of its northern border, the river Olt part of its southern border. Its area was 3337 km² around 1910.
Nagy-Küküllő county was formed when the county Küküllő was split in 1876, when the administrative structure of Transylvania was changed. In 1918 (confirmed by the Treaty of Trianon 1920), the county became part of Romania. Its territory lies in the present Romanian counties Sibiu (the west), Braşov (the south-east) and Mureş (around Sighişoara).
In the early 20th century, the districts and their capitals were:
- Sighişoara (Hungarian: Segesvár)
- Mediaş (Hungarian: Medgyes)
- Agnita (Hungarian: Szentágota)
- Cincu (Hungarian: Nagysink)
- Rupea (Hungarian: Kőhalom)
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details