Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Nebraska Wesleyan University
Nebraska Wesleyan University, founded in 1887 by the Nebraska Methodists, is comprised of 1500 students and 300 faculty and staff. The school teaches in the tradition of a liberal arts education. Nebraska Wesleyan was ranked the #1 liberal arts college in Nebraska by U.S. News and World Report in 2002. It remains affiliated with the Methodist church.
In September 1887, the cornerstone was laid for Old Main, the defining building of the campus. Still with no stairways, windows, or flooring on some floors, classes began in September 1888. The first graduating class was comprised of four women in 1890. The second graduating class, in 1891, was made up of four men. Nebraska Wesleyan received accreditation by the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools in 1914.
The school was located in the small town of University Place, Nebraska. Today, that town is part of Lincoln, Nebraska. Today, University Place is a residential area of Lincoln with many shops and historic neighborhoods.
Early on, Nebraska Wesleyan was a college of liberal arts; schools of art, business and education; a music conservatory; an academy (high school) also comprising an elementary school and kindergarten. The high school was discontinued in 1931, and the primary schools in 1941 (gradeschool) and 1942 (kindergarten). Nebraska Wesleyan offered a Master of Arts degree until 1937.
Nebraska Wesleyan has been associated with four emblems in its history, featuring the Sunflower (1894-1907), the Coyote (1907-1933), the Plainsman (1933-2000), and the Prairie Wolf (2000-Present). The school colors of brown and gold are a tribute to the first emblem.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details