Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Neil Warnock (born December 1, 1948) is the current football manager of Sheffield United. He was appointed to become manager of this club in December 1999. Warnock was born in Sheffield and is a lifelong fan of the Blades.
Warnock played for Chesterfield, Rotherham United, Hartlepool United, Scunthorpe United, Aldershot, Barnsley, York City, and Crewe Alexandra until he ended his career on the pitch and started managing. He has managed Scarborough, Notts County, Huddersfield Town, Plymouth Argyle, Oldham Athletic and Bury before reaching his current position.
In 2003, Warnock led Sheffield United to the semi-finals of the FA Cup and League Cup as well as the final of the First Division play-off. This was the first time in his management career that he had lost a play-off contest, having previously been successful at Notts County (twice), Huddersfield Town and Plymouth Argyle.
- Stephane Henchoz - Over an alleged spitting incident in the League Cup semi-final between Sheffield United and Liverpool.
- Peter Swan - A player for Warnock at Argyle and Bury, he called Warnock "a prick".
- Mickey Adams
- Gérard Houllier - See Stephane Henchoz above. Also involved an argument about United's allegedly physical approach against Liverpool in the League Cup Semi Final 1st leg, a match in which Liverpool had 5 men cautioned to United's one.
- Phil Thompson - See Stephane Henchoz above
- Gary Megson - Following allegations that Warnock tried to void a game by reducing his team to six players. See Battle of Bramall Lane.
- Stan Ternent - A longstanding feud. Most recently (2001)involved claims that Warnock sent an "emissary" to listen to tactical discussions.
- Joe Kinnear - Kinnear remarked that Warnock was a 'prat' after a 1-1 draw between Sheffield United and Kinnear's Nottingham Forest in 2004=05.
- David Elleray - Warnock called him a "bald-headed bloke", whilst criticising his decision making ability.
- Graham Poll - Following a mistake by Poll which led to Arsenal scoring in the FA Cup semi-final in 2003.
- Sheffield Wednesday - Fans of Sheffield United's arch rivals are regularly angered by Warnock's remarks. After one United victory over Wednesday at the Owls' Hillsborough home, Warnock is said to have ran over to a stand filled with Wednesday fans and performed a war dance.
- Nottingham Forest - Under Warnock's management, Notts County briefly rivaled the Reds in the early 90s. As well as this, many Forest fans have accused him of underhand tactics during games between their team and Sheffield United, paticularly the playoff semi final second leg in 2003. Reds supporters' dislike of him has only increased the already huge popularity he enjoys amongst Notts County supporters.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details