Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
New York Giants
- This is for the current NFL American football team, the New York Giants. For the original football team to take the name, see Brickley's Giants. For the professional baseball team of that name that played in New York from 1883 through 1957, see San Francisco Giants.
- Founded: The current Giants team started in 1925.
- Formerly known as: The New York Football Giants (still the legal name of the corporate entity which owns the team)
- Home field: Giants Stadium, East Rutherford, New Jersey (1976-)
- Previous home fields:
- Uniform colors: Dark blue with red trim
- Helmet design: Dark blue, with a white lower-case sans-serif "ny" logo
- League championships won: 1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990
- Super Bowls: XXI (won), XXV (won), XXXV (lost)
The Giants were created in 1925 by original owner Tim Mara .
The Giants are one of the original teams of the NFL.
In 1934, the team defeated the Chicago Bears 30-13 at the Polo Grounds in icy nine degree temperatures. At half time, coach Steve Owen provided the team with basketball shoes for better traction on the icy turf, and the game came to be known as the "Sneakers Game".
In 1987, the Giants defeated the Denver Broncos 39-20 in Super Bowl XXI. Phil Simms was named MVP after completing 88% of his passes. This Giants team began the recent football tradition of dousing the head coach with a cooler of ice cold water near the end of a victorious game that clinches some sort of championship.
Players of note
- Roosevelt 'Rosey' Brown Tackle (enshrined in 1975)
- Frank Gifford Halfback (1977)
- Alphonse 'Tuffy' Leemans halfback, Fullback (1978)
- Morris 'Red' Badgro End, (1981)
- Sam Huff Linebacker (1982)
- Arnold Weinmeister Defensive End (1984)
- Tom Landry Coach (1990)
- Wellington Mara Co-Owner (1997)
- Steve O'Neill
- Ken Strong
- Lawrence Taylor Linebacker (1999)
- Y.A. Tittle
- Emlen Tunnell
- Ray Flaherty #1
- Tuffy Leemans #4
- Mel Hein #7
- Phil Simms #11
- Y.A. Tittle #14
- Al Blozis #32
- Joe Morrison #40
- Charlie Conerly #42
- Ken Strong #50
- Lawrence Taylor #56
- New York Giants official web site
- New York Giants football blog
- Giants-Xtreme European Fanpage
- NFL article about "The Greatest Game Ever Played"
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details