Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
New York State College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
The New York State College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at Cornell University (CALS) is a statutory college of the State University of New York. It is the third largest college of its kind in the United States, with just over 3,000 students enrolled, and is considered by many to be the top school of agriculture-related sciences in the world. It is the only agriculture-focused school in the Ivy League.
It was established in 1874 as the Department of Agriculture. It became the College of Agriculture in 1888. It became a state-supported college of Cornell in 1904 (changing its name from the College of Agriculture to the New York State College of Agriculture that year). In that year of 1904, eminent botanist and horticulturist Liberty Hyde Bailey, along with New York State farmers, convinced the State Legislature to financially support the agriculture college at Cornell University, which was, at the time, a largely private university that had been established in 1865 as New York’s land-grant institution. The name of the College was finally changed to New York State College of Agriculture and Life Sciences in 1971. CALS has established programs and research in the following domains: community, human, and rural development; environment and natural resources; food and nutrition; international programs; and life sciences.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details