Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Nicholas King Nolte (born February 8 1941) is an American model, actor, and producer. He was born in Omaha, Nebraska. His father, Frank Nolte, was an itinerant irrigation pump salesman. His father was also an All-American candidate at Iowa State in 1934. His mother, Helen Nolte, was a department store buyer.
His paternal grandfather was a German farmer with farm in Iowa. His maternal grandfather did agricultural research at Iowa State University, invented the hollow-tile silo and was prominent in early aviation. His maternal grandmother ran the student union at Iowa State University
He attended high school at Benson High School and Westside High School , both in Omaha. He attended Arizona State University on a football scholarship. He also attended Eastern Arizona College , in Thatcher, Arizona and Phoenix College , Phoenix, Arizona. He eventually dropped out due to unsatisfactory grades. He then started his career in theatre. He attended the Pasadena Playhouse and Stella Adler's Academy in Los Angeles. After training, Nolte spent years travelling the country and working in regional theaters. In 1962, Nolte was given five years probation for selling fake draft cards.
He has a lengthy screen career, including parts in B-movies and television films. Nolte was starred in over 40 films playing a wide variety of characters. Diversity of character is Nolte's signature of his film career. He is known for his trademark athleticism and gravel-voiced characters. According to a written note owned by Richard Donner Nolte was first choice to play Superman in the 1978 film.
Nolte has been a heavy drinker. Katharine Hepburn remarked about him falling down drunk in every gutter in town, to which Nolte replied, "I've got a few to go yet." He has been working on achieving sobriety since 1990. Nolte had a drug problem, but a subsequent rehabilitation helped his career. He received help at the Silver Hill Hospital in Connecticut after being arrested on suspicion of drunken driving in Malibu, CA. Tests showed the influence of GHB. He still smokes cigarettes. Nick is staying youthful by a regiment of vitamins and eating organic food only.
He has been involved with Shelia Page , Karen Louise Eklund , Sharyn Haddad , Debra Winger, Vicki Lewis , and Rebecca Linger . He is currently divorced. Nolte has an older sister, Nancy, who is the executive for Red Cross. Nolte had a son with Rebecca Linger, Brawley King Nolte. The son is an actor.
Nick Nolte currently resides in Malibu, California.
- "Early on in my film career, when I started getting interviewed, I decided I was going to lie to the press, since I didn't think I had anything to say that was really of value. Over the years, I've just lied about a lot of things...I've sometimes found it a little difficult to know who I am. And when the media insisted on finding out, I just flat-out told a lot of different stories. When I did North Dallas Forty, I invented this history that I'd played college football. One year, I told some reporter that my first wife, who I had recently divorced, had been a high-wire performer in the circus. It ended up in a national magazine. She called me up and said, "Nick, why would you say a thing like that?"
- - Nick Nolte
- "Oh, the Wild Man. Yeah. I might have cultivated that for awhile. It doesn't necessarily make good press, but it gives them something to go by."
- - Nick Nolte
- 1991 - Los Angeles Film Critics Association: Best Actor, The Prince of Tides
- 1991 - Golden Globe: Best Actor in a Motion Picture (Drama), The Prince of Tides
- 1992 - Chosen as People Magazine's Sexiest Man Alive
- 1998 - New York Film Critics Circle - Best Actor, Affliction
- 1998 - National Society of Film Critics - Best Actor, Affliction
- Dirty Little Billy (1972)
- Return to Macon County (1975)
- The Deep (1977)
- Who'll Stop the Rain (1978)
- North Dallas Forty (1979)
- Heart Beat (1980)
- Cannery Row (1982)
- 48 Hrs. (1982)
- Under Fire (1983)
- Grace Quigley (1984)
- Teachers (1984)
- Down and Out in Beverly Hills (1986)
- Extreme Prejudice (1987)
- Weeds (1987)
- Three Fugitives (1989)
- New York Stories (1989)
- Farewell to the King (1989)
- Everybody Wins (1990)
- Another 48 Hrs. (1990)
- Q & A (1990)
- Cape Fear (1991)
- The Prince of Tides (1991)
- The Player (1992) (Cameo)
- Lorenzo's Oil (1992)
- I'll Do Anything (1994)
- Blue Chips (1994)
- I Love Trouble (1994)
- Jefferson in Paris (1995)
- Mullholland Falls (1996)
- Mother Night (1996)
- Nightwatch (1997)
- Afterglow (1997)
- U Turn (1997)
- Affliction (1997) (also executive producer)
- The Thin Red Line (1998)
- The Best of Enemies (1999)
- Breakfast of Champions (1999)
- Simpactico (1999)
- The Golden Bowl (2000)
- Trixie (2000)
- Investigating Sex (2001) (also producer)
- The Good Thief (2002)
- Northfolk (2003)
- (2003) (documentary)
- Hulk (2003)
- The Beautiful County (2004)
- Clean (2004)
- Hotel Rwanda (2004)
- Neverwas (2005) (currently in post-production)
- Papa (2005) (currently announced start of production)
- The Rum Diary (2005) (currently in production)
- Peaceful Warrior (2006) (currently filming)
- The Death of Harry Tobin (2006) (currently in pre-production)
- Nick Nolte's Diary, a fun but fictional account of Nolte's daily life.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details