Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Due to government industrialisation programs in the 1960s and 70s, various industries opened plants in Nordenham. Among others, the main industries are a nuclear power plant, airplane construction (Airbus) and chemical industry. On the Butjadingen peninsula outside Nordenham people do dairy farming or work in the tourism industry.
Nordenham developed after the efforts by a merchant, Wilhelm Müller, who traded cattle and sheep to England in the 19th century. One of the oldest parts of the town-area is the village Blexen, where the bishop Willehad died in the year 789. In 1404 a castle was built by the Hanse-city of Bremen, the Vredeborch, to protect her interests against the rebellious inhabitans, the Friesians. On that site the town-founder Wilhelm Müller later built his farm-house and a restaurant.
On May 1st, 1908 Nordenham got the town-rights, 2nd-class and since 1955 Nordenham is an independant town in the Wesermarsch-district.
The inhabitants prefer speaking of a "City of Nordenham", not a "town", although they don't have any cathedral.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details