Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
The USCSS Nostromo is a fictional starship, featured in the 1979 film Alien. The name is from the eponymous hero of the 1904 novel by Joseph Conrad. The design of the Nostromo is credited to illustrators Ron Cobb and Chris Foss.
Commercial Towing Vessel The Nostromo, an M-Class Starfreighter property of The Company, is a tug, a towing vessel, hauling an enormous ore refinery and 20 million tons of raw ore, massing many times the weight of The Nostromo. The ship itself is still substantial, over 60,000 metric tons and almost 245 metres long, including three decks, four holds, stores, engines, and lots of pipes and ducts; its escape ship is called Narcissus.
The crew is seven - (In the order credited) Captain Dallas (Tom Skerritt), Warrant Officer Ripley (Sigourney Weaver), Navigator Lambert (Veronica Cartwright), Engineering Technician Brett (Harry Dean Stanton), Executive Officer Kane (John Hurt), Science Officer Ash (Ian Holm), and Chief Engineer Parker (Yaphet Kotto), and there is also a cat named Jones. The ship's computer is called "Mother" (occasionally spelled MU-TH-UR).
In the year 2122, the ship is on a course returning to Earth from Thedus, using a form of FTL drive that requires the crew to spend most of the journey in hypersleep, suspended animation. While on the return voyage back to Earth, Mother intercepts an unknown transmission from a planet (LV-426), causing her to interrupt the course of the journey and wake the crew. This leads directly to (what was initially assumed to be) the first encounter between humans and the aliens (although the movie Alien vs. Predator shows an earlier encounter with the aliens in the 21st century).
The whereabouts of the Nostromo and her crew remained unknown for the next 57 years; it simply never returned from its journey to Thedus, and was listed as missing and presumed destroyed. The final fate of the Nostromo would be learned in 2179, when an off-course Narcissus escape ship returned Ripley, Jones the cat, and the Nostromo logs to civilization.
Specifications as of 05/25/20
USCSS Nostromo (Lockmart CM-88B "Juggernaut-class" Starfreighter)
- Complement: 7 (3 Officers + 4 Crew Members)
- Displacement: 50,000 mt (Standard); 45,000 mt (Light); 63,000 mt (Full Load)
- Dimensions: Length:1,095ft / 334m; Beam 705ft / 215m; Draft 320ft / 98m
- Velocity: 0.42 LYSD (Unladen) / 0.12 LYSD (Towing heavy cargo)
- 27.9 sec Rest - Onset Critical Momentum
- 8.9 sec Onset Critical Momentum - Hyperdrive Engage
- 6.5 sec 1c - 24c
- 8.5 sec 24c - 68c
- 15.5 sec 58c - 153 c
- Endurance: 14 Months (Standard) / 24 Months (Maximum)
- Primary Power System: One (1) Laratel 2.8 Terawatt WF-15 fusion reactor
- Faster Than Light Propulsion: Four (4) Yutani T7A NLS stellar drive towers
- Sublight Propulsion: Two (2) Rolls Royce N66 Cyclone thrust tunnels w/ Bi-Polar vectoring; 7,290,000 tons thrust ea.
- Two (2) Weylan L46 chemical maneuvering engines; 850,000 tons thrust ea.
- One (1) Yutani J38 auxiliary thruster module /w Two (2) Lockmart TL-30 thruster groups
- Primary Logic System: MU-TH-R 182 2.1 Terabyte AI Mainframe w/ 2.0 Terabyte MU-TH-R 146 Backup Mainframe
- Operating System: OAM (Overmonitoring Address Matrix) Release 2.2 with 2120 Patch
- Two (2) 2-Meter aperture telescopes capable of optical, spectrographic and infrared resolution
- Gas Chromatograph
- Centimetric Navigation and Landing Radar
- Synthetic Aperture Ground-Mapping Radar
- Hyperspace Mass Counter
- Weapon Systems: (None)
- Embarked Craft: Two (2) Starcub-Class Shuttlecraft
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details