Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Nowogródek Voivodship (Polish województwo nowogródzkie) was an unit of administrative division of Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and Poland between 15th century and 1795 and then between 1919 and 1939, with the capital in the town of Nowogródek.
Since 1921 it covered 22 692 km2 and had the population of 800 761 (as per the 1921 census).
Out of the inhabitants of the voivodship, roughly 53% were Poles, 38% Belarusians and 7% Jewish. However, cities were mostly populated by Poles and Jews, while the countryside was predominantly Belarusian.
Administratively, the Voivodship was divided onto 8 powiats with seats in the principal towns and cities of the area:
The powiats were further divided onto 8 towns and 89 rural communes.
After the Polish Defence War of 1939 the area was occupied by the Soviet Union, and then (after 1941) by Germany. After the World War II the area was annexed by the Soviet union and divided between Lithuanian SSR and Byelorussian SSR.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details