Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Odawara's strategic location on the Tokaido, between mountainous Hakone and Sagami Bay, has given it a key role in Japanese history. Prior to the Edo period, its castle was the stronghold of the Late Hojo clan warriors. During the Edo, its castle controlled the Tokaido between the Tokugawa headquarters at Edo and the stations west of Hakone, including Sumpu (Shizuoka), Hamamatsu and Nagoya.
Today, a reproduction of the castle stands high on a hill above the city.
- Shinkansen (rail), to Tokyo or Hakata
- Tokaido line (rail), to Tokyo or Atami
- Odakyu Odawara Line (rail), to Shinjuku
- Hakone-Tozan Line, to Hakone
- Daiyuzan line (rail), to Sekimoto
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details