Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Ohio Wesleyan University
- This article concerns Ohio Wesleyan University in Delaware, Ohio; there is also a Wesleyan University in the Philippines and a number of other colleges and universities whose names include Wesleyan.
|Motto: In lumine tuo videbimus lumen : "In Your Light We Shall See the Light" Seal's Inscription: Wesleiana Universitas Ohioensis Delawarensi : "Wesleyan University in Delaware, Ohio"|
|School type||Private coeducational liberal arts|
|Campus size||200 acres (0.8 km²) (main campus)|
The Wesleyan Battling Bishops
Ohio Wesleyan University (also Wesleyan or OWU) is a private, independent, coeducational, selective liberal arts college located in Delaware, Ohio, 20 miles north of Columbus, Ohio, the capital of the state of Ohio in the United States.
Ohio Wesleyan University's charter provides that "the University is forever to be conducted on the most liberal principles". Various college publications such as Loren Pope's, Barron's, Princeton Review and the U.S. News and World Report place Wesleyan in the top ranks of private liberal arts colleges in the United States for 2005.
Wesleyan is a member of the Great Lakes Colleges Association, The Oberlin Group and the Five Colleges of Ohio,a consortium of liberal arts colleges in Ohio: Kenyon College, Oberlin College, College of Wooster and Denison University. Ohio Wesleyan University is now independent and makes no religious demands on its students. Students come from about 44 states and about 47 foreign nations.
Wesleyan was founded by Adam Poe and Charles Elliott, leaders of the local Williams Street Methodist Church and residents of Delaware, Ohio, in 1841 when the Delaware residents agreed on the need to establish a university "of the highest order" in central Ohio. When the Mansion House Hotel went on the market later during the same year, Adam Poe, a pastor of the Methodist Church in Delaware, Ohio, encouraged citizens of Delaware to purchase the property. Later, 172 citizens raised a $10,000 contribution and purchased it.
Wesleyan opened as a college in 1844. In the 19th century, Ohio Wesleyan University consisted of several schools: a College of Liberal Arts (founded in 1844), a School of Oratory (founded in 1894), a School of Music (founded in 1877), a School of Fine Arts (established in 1877) and a Business School (established in 1895). The university is one of the first universities named for John Wesley, and is among the oldest of the numerous Methodist universities in the U.S. and abroad.
In the early days of the college, Ohio Wesleyan University presidents were frequently nationally vocal in political debates of their times. The issues in the 1850s centered on slavery and the expansion of the United States. The fledgling Republican party, at that time associated with a more progressive platform, was organized in opposition to slavery. It was newly constituted and unrelated to earlier parties bearing the name “Republican” and they were the antecedents to today’s Democratic party. At particular issue was the idea of extending slavery into the Kansas and Nebraska and the Ohio Wesleyan new Republicans were strongly opposed. Edward Thompson, president of Ohio Wesleyan University in 1857, was vocal in the national political debate and denounced the argument that southern Christians “should retain their slaves in obedience to state laws forbidding manumission” and "The soft and slippered Christianity which disturbs no one, is not the Christianity of Christ".
The college was originally an all-male institution, but it became coeducational in 1877. Wesleyan's traditions date back to its founding, when the College of Liberal Arts opened its doors with an enrollment of 29 male students taught by three professors. The college was housed in Elliott Hall, formerly the Mansion House Hotel, which had been constructed in the early 1830s when the current East Campus was a popular health resort. The resort was known for the “health-giving although odoriferous waters” of its famed Sulphur Spring, a favorite spot of future generations of students.
The Ohio Wesleyan Female College was established in 1853. In 1857, the female college moved to Monnett Hall, named for school benefactoress Mary Monnett Bain. In 1877 the Ohio Wesleyan Female College was merged with the University and became coeducational. Monnett Hall remained the center for women's housing on campus well into the twentieth century.
About Ohio Wesleyan University
Ohio Wesleyan is a liberal arts college with a population of approximately 1,900 students. The university defines itself as a "community of teachers and students devoted to the free pursuit of truth," and states a goal of developing in its students "qualities of intellect and character that will be useful no matter what they choose to do in later life and liberate them from a narrow perspective of gender, race, ethnicity and sexual orientation in every discipline".
Wesleyan's campus is located in the center of Delaware, Ohio and is bisected by Sandusky Street, the main north/south street through the heart of the city. This results in an informal division of the campus into east and west sectors.
University Hall (Grey Chapel) (see image above), a multi-use building, is one of the most notable landmark buildings on campus.
The Leon A. Beeghly Library houses a central collection of more than 480,000 items, including rare books, manuscripts, art, microfilm, and federal government publications. Its Audio Visual Center includes a learning laboratory, multimedia classrooms, and individual viewing/listening rooms. In addition to the main library, three branch libraries are located in Sanborn Hall, Stewart Hall, and Bigelow-Rice Hall serve the music and science departments.
Ohio Wesleyan University owns The Perkins Observatory, which is located south of the city of Delaware. At the time of its completion in 1931, the Perkins Telescope was the third largest in the world only after the 100 inch at Mt. Wilson, California , and the 72 inch at Victoria, B.C., Canada. The grounds near Perkins also housed Ohio State's radio telescope, known locally as The Big Ear; the Big Ear was disassembled in 1998.
Austin Hall, Edwards Gymnasium/Pfieffer Natatorium, Elliott Hall, Merrick Hall, Perkins Astronomical Observatory, Sanborn Hall, Slocum Hall, Sturges Library, Stuyvesant Hall and University Hall-Gray's Chapel are listed on the National Register of Historic Places(NRHP). Selby Field is also listed on the NRHP. Monnett Hall (NRHP #75001374) was also listed on the National Register, however the listing failed to save the building from demolition.
The school mascot is the Battling Bishop.
Wesleyan Academic Buildings
Bigelow-Rice Hall was built in 1962. Now, it is part of the Conrades•Wetherell Science Center. It houses the Botany, Microbiology and Zoology Departments at Wesleyan. The building houses multuples labs and a scanning electron microscope. In addition, the building is connected to the University Greenhouse. The facility has an enclosed atrium designed to showcase student and faculty collaborative research. The building features brutalist structures that are heavy with coarsely molded surfaces, made out of concrete.
Edgar Hall is home for the Fine Arts Center. The bulding is located on North Sandusky Street, the main street in Delaware, Ohio and was a former textile mill. Students there study painting, drawing,computer graphics, art history and photography (two-dimensional art). The building is also part of the National Register of Historic Places as it is part of the the downtown Delaware historic district. In addition to the various studies, Edgar is a site for the University Werner Gallery. Apple Tree Arbor forms a park-like area stretching from Edgar Hall to the north-western edge of campus.
Sturges Hall was constructed in 1855. The red-brick structure is one of Wesleyan's first campus buildings. It served as a university library until Slocum Hall replaced it. Sturges Hall is currently the home for the English and Humanities-Classics departments. The building also houses the University Honors Program. Sturges is on the National Register of Historical Places. The building is part of current University plans for creating a welcoming Plaza designed to connect several buildings.
The University Hall serves as a prominent landmark on campus. It is home for many administrative offices: the President's Office, Registrar's Office, Business Affairs and the Modern Foreign Languages departments.
Gray Chapel is located in The University Hall. It is the home of a $442,000 Johannes Klais Orgelbau Memorial Concert Organ with 82 ranks, 55 stops, and 4,522 pipes.
Slocum Hall was built in 1898 and features a Romanesque arcade and enormous glass skylight. It was the University library until 1966 when Beeghly Library was built. Several administrative offices are located in the Hall: the Admissions Office, Financial Aid, Minority Student Affairs, and Foreign Student Services. Ancient, Medieval, and Renaissance Studies, Black World Studies, and Women's Studies departments are also located in Slocum Hall.
Elliott Hall holds a significant historic place in Wesleyan University. Delaware was laid out in 1808 and became a popular health resort. Established in 1842, the University was built around the town's Mansion House (now Elliot Hall). Elliott was built in 1833 in the Greek revival style and is the original building on campus.
Currently, Elliott Hall houses Wesleyan's international studies, politics and government, history, sociology and anthropology departments. The fourth floor houses the Book Review section of The Historian, which is the official journal of Phi Alpha Theta, the international history honor society, and is one of the largest circulating English-language history periodicals. The building is also placed on the National Register of Historic Places in the U.S.
Conrades•Wetherell Science Center
The Conrades•Wetherell Science Center is the home of the Botany-Microbiology, Zoology, Chemistry, Geology and Geography, Mathematics and Computer Science, and Physics and Astronomy departments. Originally, this was two separate buildings, Stewart Hall and Bigelow-Rice Hall. In 2004, a $35-million dollar project completely renovated Bigelow-Rice and added an extension to Stewart to create the new facility.
Phillips Hall is the home of the Psychology, Philosophy, Education, Experimental Psychology, Religion and East Asian Studies Departments. It was built in 1957. In addition to classrooms and offices, Phillips Hall also has approximately 8,000 square feet (700 m²) designated for empirical research and clinical observation laboratories. The annual commencement ceremony is held on the terrace of Phillips since 1958.
Students entering Wesleyan are provided with a liberal arts education. This holistic approach encourages students to experience different fields of study and once majors are chosen, to bring those varied experiences to their selected fields of study. Upon completion of 34 units of coursework, students may earn diplomas in Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Fine Arts, or Bachelor of Music fields of study.
In 2004, The Princeton Review ranked Ohio Wesleyan fifth out of 218 colleges and universities in the Liberal Arts Colleges-Bachelor's category for the highest percentage of international students. During the same year, OWU was ranked #17 for its students who "Never stop studying". As of January 2005, it had a score of 88 on the Review's "Academic Rating" scale and was included in the list of "Best in the Midwest" colleges.
Wesleyan actively recruits students who are engaged in their own education, community, and the world around them. Over eighty-five clubs and organization operate on campus. The university schedules speakers, stages plays and other performances on campus thoughout the year.
Student organizations at Wesleyan include ProgressOWU; Pride (serving the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender community), and The Babbling Bishops, an improvisational comedy troupe. OWU's The OWL, is one of the nation's oldest college literary magazines.
Students operate WSLN Radio 98.7 FM - (aka "The BISHOPeration") from its studio in Slocum Hall. The 15 watt station has a three mile broadcast range and primarily serves the student and local population. The station is under the supervision of the journalism department.
Ohio Wesleyan University has an on-campus house capacity of 1,600 students. First-year students are required to live on campus for the first two semesters at Ohio Wesleyan; upperclass students are placed in dormitories through a lottery system. Tompson, Bashford, Stuyvesant and Smith Halls are traditional dormitories on campus. Welch Hall is designated as a "quiet" dorm for honors students. Hayes Hall is the all-female living center.
Other on campus living options include single-sex, coed, small living units and cooperative housing where student participate in the food and housekeeping chores.
Small Living Units (SLUs) are small co-ops for groups of 15 students. The co-ops are organized to promote awareness on various social issues, which usually determine the co-op name: The Peace and Justice House, The Tree House, The Women's House, The Modern Foreign Languages House, The House of Thought, The International House and The House of Hope.
Laundry facilities, social rooms, kitchens, and storage areas for personal belongings and bicycles are accessible to all students living on campus.
The past few years have proven that campus activism is not dead on the Ohio Wesleyan campus. OWU students continue to face many of the issues other political mobilizers are dealing with — intellectual bickering, issues of war and social justice, apathy from their peers, and sometimes hostility from the authorities. However, the college is known for its left-leanining students and administration’s permissive attitude.
On March 17, 2005 the Student Union on Black Awareness (SUBA) and College Democrats organized a protest on Sandusky Street in Delaware, Ohio to stand firm against racial injustice on campus and the country. University president Mark Huddleston also participated in the protest.
The summer of 2003 and the academic year 2003/2004 was marked with yet another controversy. Protests from international students and alumni against the old college president Thomas Courtice took place on the issue of the status of the campus international student advisor, Ann Quillin, an administrator who was forced to leave under unclear circumstances. The issue caused hundreds of alumni and students to protest against the president's office via various forms including picketing and culture jamming.
In April 2002, about a hundred Ohio Wesleyan students gathered in the Mall in Washington, DC in the second day of a weekend of protests for an array of causes, including the Middle East crisis, but also to denounce lending policies of The World Bank that they believed harmed the environment and hurt the world's poor. In February 2003 approximately 100 OWU students travelled to New York City to protest the war in Iraq with partial funding from the Wesleyan Chaplain's office.
As of 2005, Ohio Wesleyan offered 38 different majors:
Alma Mater song
Wesleyan! Sweetly and strong Rises our hymn of praise for thee alone; Heaven re-echoes it, loud let it ring, Ohio Wesleyan! Loyal hearts sing.
Wesleyan! Proud is thy crown.
Rarest of laurels ever Victory has known; Noblest achievements Have hallowed thy name, Ohio Wesleyan! Deathless thy fame.
Presidents of Ohio Wesleyan University
|14th.||Thomas Courtice||-||1994-2004||Science Center Built; Establishment of Five Colleges of Ohio|
|13th.||David Warren (professor)||-||1984-1993||Hamilton-Williams Campus Center Built|
|12th.||Thomas E. Wenzlau||1950||1969-1984|
|11th.||Elden T. Smith||1932||1962-1968|
|9th.||Arthur Sherwood Flemming||1927||1948-1953, 1957-1958|
|8th.||Herbert John Burgstahler||-||1939-1947||Last of long line of Methodist minister Presidents|
|7th.||Edmund P. Soper||-||1899-1929|
|6th.||John W. Hoffman||-||1916-1928|
|5th.||Herbert George Welch||-||1905-1916|
|4th.||James Whitford Bashford||-||1889-1904|
|3rd.||Charles H. Payne||-||1876-1888||Wesleyan Female College merged with Ohio Wesleyan University|
Acting and Interim Presidents have included Lorenzo D. McCabe (1873-76), William F. Whitlock (1888-89), Edward L. Rice (1938-39), Clarence E. Ficken (1947-48, 1953-55), Frank J. Prout (1955-57), George W. Burns (1958-59), Robert Lisensky (1968-69), and William C. Louthan (1993-94).
Past Presidents of Wesleyan Female College
- Oran Faville, 1853-1855
- William Richardson
Ohio Wesleyan participates in the NCAA's Division III and forms part of the North Coast Athletic Conference athletic conference. Wesleyan's strongest sports are lacrosse and soccer. Wesleyan's traditional sports rival is Denison University and Kenyon College.
Ohio Wesleyan won NCAA Division III: Men's basketball (1988), Men's soccer (1998), Women's soccer (2001), Women's soccer (2002).
The nickname "The Battling Bishops" dates to 1925; Up until then, Wesleyan's teams were referred to as "The Red and Black," and "The Methodists". Due to the fact, that numerous schools, including various other Methodist schools, claimed crimson and black as their colors, the university decided to change its name.
- Dennis R. Appleyard , Class of 1961; Co-author International Economics, 4th Edition.
- William Hsiao , Class of 1963; Professor of Economics, Harvard University School of Public Health.
- Frederick Henry Koch, Class of 1900; Considered the founder of American folk drama .
- Bob Michael, Dean of the Harris Graduate School of Public Policy Studies at the University of Chicago.
- Ezra Vogel, Class of 1950; Former Professor at Harvard University. Author of Japan's New Middle Class(1963), Japan as Number One(1979), The Four Little Dragons (1991) and Is Japan Still Number One?(2000).
- James R. Walker, Class of 1974; chair of the Department of Economics at the University of Wisconsin.
- Frank Sherwood Rowland, Class of 1948; Chemistry Nobel laurate.
- James F. Huhn, Class of 1937; pioneer in the reseach of synthetic fibers and plastics.
- Thomas R. Tritton, Class of 1969; President of Haverford College, PA, 1997-present.
- Karl Tinsley Waugh, Class of 1900; President of Dickinson College, PA, 1931-1933.
- Edwin Holt Hughes, President of Depauw University, IN, 1903-1909.
- Francis John McConnell, President of Depauw University, IN, 1909-1912.
- George Richmond Grose, President of Depauw University, IN, 1912-1924.
- Richard Franklin Rosser, Class of 1951; President of Depauw University, IN, 1977-1986.
- Isaac Crook, Class of 1856; President of Ohio University, OH, 1896-1898.
- Edward D. Miller, MD, Class of 1964; 13th Dean of The Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.
- Charles M. Austing, Class of 1903; first President of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics.
- Branch Rickey, Class of 1904; general manager of the Saint Louis Cardinals, Brooklyn Dodgers, and Pittsburgh Pirates who pioneered the farm system and racially integrated Major League Baseball by signing Jackie Robinson for the Dodgers.
- Lucy Webb Hayes, Class of 1850; wife of Rutherford B. Hayes, who served as U.S. President from 1877 to 1881.
- Jo Ann Emerson, US Representative Jo Ann Emerson, Missouri, 8th District.
- Charles Fairbanks, Class of 1872; Vice President of the United States under Theodore Roosevelt.
- Arthur Fleming , former Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare. Served under presidents Franklin Roosevelt through Ronald Reagan.
- Horace Newton Allen, Class of 1878; diplomat.
- Shirin Tahir-Kheli|, Class of 1961; Special Assistant to the President and National Security Council.
- Mabel Cratty, Class of 1890, Leader of Young Women's Christian Association in its early days.
- Mary King, Class of 1962; civil rights activist.
- Norman Vincent Peale, Class of 1920; minister, author of The Power of Positive Thinking (1952), The Art of Living (1937), Confident Living (1948), and This Incredible Century (1991).
- William M. Brooks , Class of 1976; Director of the Civil Rights Litigation Clinic.
- Winston Franklin, led efforts to promote interacial understanding with Charles F. Kettering Foundation.
- Phyllis Battelle, National columnist; Author of a book on Karen Ann Quinlan
- Richard North Patterson, Class of 1968; contemporary author.
- Robert Edwin Lee, Class of 1939; playwright and lyricist.
- Judge Richard Hodge, Class of 1960; Judge at California Superior Court.
- Judge Charles Richey, Class of 1945; late Federal US District Judge, appointed by Richard Nixon and involved in Watergate trial.
- Fred Baron, Class of 1976; producer of Moulin Rouge; current executive producer for the BBS According to Bex.
- Jim Berry , Class of 1955; National Newspaper Cartoonist.
- Amelia Bigham, Class of 1890; Broadway actress in The Power of Gold, The Shaughraun, The Colleen Bawn, The Village Postmaster, Captain Impudence; indicted into the Ohio Hall of Fame.
- Frank Corrado, Class of 1968; actor (American Conservatory Theatre, Denver Center, Berkeley Rep, McCarter, Long Wharf).
- Anne Flanagan, Class of 1987; film, TV actor/writer (The Comedy Store, Disclosure, Tracey Ullman Show, 7th Heaven).
- Clark Gregg, Class of 1984; actor, director, screenwriter (A Few Good Men, Spanish Prisoner, What Lies Beneath, West Wing).
- Gerald Kline, Class of 1966; TV, film, stage actor (Law and Order, All My Children,) Screen Actors Guild (SAG) and American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (AFTRA) Board member.
- Ron Leibman, Class of 1958; Emmy, Tony-winning actor (Angels in America, "Norma Rae", "Slaughterhouse Five", "Friends").
- Wendie Malick, Class of 1972; film, TV actor (Just Shoot Me (NBC), Dream On (HBO)).
- Melvin Van Peebles, Class of 1953; actor and director,Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (1971)
- Robert Pine, Class of 1963; TV, film actor (CHiPs, Murder, She Wrote, Hoover vs. the Kennedys, Six Feet Under).
- Wayne Turney, Class of 1968; Emmy-winning Actor (Hickory Hideout, Cleveland Play House, Actors' Theatre Louisville).
- Patricia Wettig, Class of 1974; Emmy-winning actor (thirty something, The Langoliers, City Slickers, Boomtown).
- Eric Winzenried, Class of 1988; film, TV actor (ER, The Untouchables, Zoolander, Austin Powers).
- Bruce Burkhardt, national anchor for CNN.
- Cynthia Davidson , Class of 1974; editor of architecture magazine ANY.
- Mildred Gillars, Class of 1922, Radio Berlin announcer and actress during World War II.
- Susan Headden , Class of 1977; Pulitzer Prize reporter.
- Colin McMahon , Class of 1985; Foreign Editor, Chicago Tribune.
- Gregory L. Moore, Class of 1976; managing editor of The Boston Globe.
- Byron Pitts , Class of 1982; CBS News correspondent.
- Orra E. Monnette, Class of 1897; author and banker, co-founder and co-chairman, Bank of America, Los Angeles.
- George Conrades , Class of 1961.
- Nicholas E. Calio, Class of 1975; Citigroup's Senior Vice President for Global Government Affairs.
- Robert Dellinger, Class of 1982; CFO of Sprint, a global communications company.
- Clay G. Small, Class of 1972; CEO of Pepsi Bottling Group.
- Martha Rooney Webb, Class of 1991; director at the Seed Foundation, a foundation designed to benefit urban children.
- Frank Stanton, Class of 1930; former CBS CEO between 1945-1973.
- Gregory Wilson , Class of 1974; principal at McKinsey & Company in Washington, DC.
- Robert M. Best , Class of 1944; chairman and CEO, Security Mutual Life.
- Ohio Wesleyan University Online
- The Wesleyan Intl Alumni Online
- The Wesleyan Alumni Online
- The Wesleyan Bulletin - Official online bulletin
- The Ohio Wesleyan Transcript - School newspaper
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details