Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Oldenburg was a county resp. (after 1773) a duchy of the Holy Roman Empire. After the dissolution of the empire (1806) and the episode of Napoleonic occupation Oldenburg was made an independent country by the Congress of Vienna in 1815. In 1829 it was raised to the status of a grand duchy. In 1871, it joined the German Empire, and in 1918, it became a republican state within the Weimar Republic. In 1937, it lost the exclave districts of Eutin near the Baltic coast and Birkenfeld in southwestern Germany to Prussia and gained the City of Wilhelmshaven; however this was mere formalism, as the Nazis had de facto abolished the federal states in 1934. After World War II, Oldenburg was merged into the newly founded state of Lower Saxony.
Oldenburg had an area of 5,375 kmē, and 580,000 inhabitants (1939).
For regional history, see Oldenburg.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details