Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Order of the Red Banner
The Military Orders
The Soviet government of Russia established the Order of the Battle Red Banner, better-known as the Order of the Red Banner (in Russian: Orden Krasnogo Znameni) on September 16, 1918 during the Russian Civil War. It continued later on as the award of the Soviet government of the USSR. The USSR established the all-Soviet Order of the Red Banner on August 1, 1924.
During the Russian Civil War there existed similarly-named orders established by the governments of several other constituent and nonconstituent Soviet republics.
The Order of the Red Banner recognised military deeds. Before the establishment of the Order of Lenin on April 6, 1930, the Order of the Red Banner functioned as the highest (and practically the only) military order of the USSR. Practically all well-known Soviet commanders became Cavaliers of the Order of the Red Banner.
The order consisted of a white-enamelled badge, which had a golden Hammer and Sickle badge surrounded by two golden panicles of wheat on a Red Star, backed by crossed hammer, plough, torch and a red flag bearing the motto Proletariats (Workers) of the World, Unite!. This was surrounded by two golden panicles of wheat; at the bottom was the letters 'CCCP' (USSR).
The Order of the Red Banner of Labour
On December 28, 1920 Soviet Russia established a distinct order, the Order of the Red Banner of Labour, for accomplishments in labor and civil service; the all-Soviet equivalent dates from September 7, 1928.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details