Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Orford is an attractive coastal hamlet located on the Prosser River located some 73 kilometers from Hobart, on the East Coast of Tasmania. It has ready access to Maria Island which is separated from the mainland by the Mercury Passage .
The town was named by Edward Walpole, who was granted 1,000 acres (4 km²) in the area in 1831. He named his grant “Strawberry Hill” after the London residence of his relative Horace Walpole who was the Second Earl of Orford. The town was first established as a mainland port for the convict settlement at Maria Island. Sandstone from this area was quarried for use in buildings in Hobart and Melbourne including the Melbourne General Post Office .
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details