Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Osceola County, Florida
As of the census2 of 2000, there are 172,493 people, 60,977 households, and 45,062 families residing in the county. The population density is 50/km² (130/mi²). There are 72,293 housing units at an average density of 21/km² (55/mi²). The racial makeup of the county is 77.20% White, 7.36% Black or African American, 0.46% Native American, 2.20% Asian, 0.08% Pacific Islander, 9.06% from other races, and 3.63% from two or more races. 29.41% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There are 60,977 households out of which 36.40% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.10% are married couples living together, 12.80% have a female householder with no husband present, and 26.10% are non-families. 19.10% of all households are made up of individuals and 7.00% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.79 and the average family size is 3.18.
In the county the population is spread out with 26.80% under the age of 18, 9.30% from 18 to 24, 31.00% from 25 to 44, 21.60% from 45 to 64, and 11.40% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 35 years. For every 100 females there are 97.20 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there are 94.20 males.
The median income for a household in the county is $38,214, and the median income for a family is $42,061. Males have a median income of $29,034 versus $21,746 for females. The per capita income for the county is $17,022. 11.50% of the population and 9.10% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 14.70% of those under the age of 18 and 8.60% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line.
Cities and towns
- Buenaventura Lakes
- Reedy Creek Improvement District (special taxing district)
- Yeehaw Junction
Government links/Constitutional offices
- Osceola County Government / Board of County Commissioners
- Osceola County Supervisor of Elections
- Osceola County Property Appraiser
- Osceola County Sheriff's Office
- Osceola County Tax Collector
- School District of Osceola County
- South Florida Water Management District
- St. Johns River Water Management District
- Osceola County Clerk of Courts
- Public Defender, 9th Judicial Circuit of Florida serving Orange and Osceola Counties
- Circuit and County Court for the 9th Judicial Circuit of Florida
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details