Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
|Region:||South East England|
A railway station was opened here on May 31 1842, on the South Eastern Railway main line from London via Redhill to Dover: as the nearest spot to that town it was named 'Maidstone Road'. When the Maidstone branch from Paddock Wood was opened on September 25 1844, it took the name of a local wood. Between 1892 and 1961 the branch to Hawkhurst also left from here.
There is the huge Paddock Wood Distribution Centre (TRANSFESA) located to the north of the village. It houses storage and transfer facilities for freight vehicles.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details