Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Palace of Beaulieu
On July 23 1527 Henry's court arrived at Beaulieu on his summer progress, staying, unusually, for over a month. In the company of the a large number of nobles and their wives, including Anne Boleyn's father Viscount Rochford, viscount Fitzwalter, the earls of Oxford, Essex and Rutland, the marquess of Exeter and the dukes of Norfolk and Suffolk, it was here that Henry devised a scheme to allow him to cohabit with the intended successor of Catherine of Aragon, Anne Boleyn, by obtaining a Papal bull to allow him to commit bigamy. This plan was dropped when Cardinal Wolsey discovered the plan, though the pope did, in fact, issue a bull to the same effect that December.
As a result of the English Civil War, Oliver Cromwell took possession of the estate for the sum of five shillings in 1640. After reverting to the 2nd Duke of Buckingham it was sold to George Monck, 1st Duke of Albermarle, and the court of Charles II of England were frequently entertained there.
The estate was finally acquired by the English nuns of the Order of the Holy Sepulchre in 1798 and opened as a Catholic school the following year. New Hall School, as it's now known, remains a school to this day. The Royal Arms of Henry VIII are now in the school chapel.
The Beaulieu name is now remembered in the name of the nearby housing estate, Beaulieu Park.
- Retha M Warnicke "The Rise And Fall of Anne Boleyn", Cambridge University Press, ISBN 0-521-37000-0
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details