Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Gokuijou Parodius is a series of horizontally-scrolling shooters developed by Konami. The games are tongue-in-cheek parodies of Gradius, as well as many other Konami franchises, including Castlevania and Goemon . The original was released for the MSX in 1988. An arcade remake, titled Parodius Da!, followed in 1990.
The game was not released anywhere outside of Japan, so there is a lot of Japanese text in the game. However, the game has been translated. The translated manual is also available. When the Parodius deluxe pack was released in Europe, the game's ending and beginning sequences were translated into english, as was the speech that appears from the white bell, however everything else ,including the characters voices, retained how it was in the Japanese version.
One of the characters you can play with is Goemon; his full name is Ishikawa Goemon, the Japanese version of Robin Hood.
There are five games in the Parodius series:
- パロディウス ～タコは地球を救う～ Parodius: Tako wa Chikyū o Sukū ("Parodius: Tako Saves the Earth") (1988, MSX2)
- パロディウスだ! －神話からお笑いへ－ Parodius Da! Shinwa kara Owarai e ("It's Parodius! From Myth to Laughter") (1990, arcade)
- 極上パロディウス Gokujō Parodius ("Ultimate Parodius") (1994, arcade)
- 実況おしゃべりパロディウス Jikkyō Oshaberi Parodius ("Chatting Parodius") (1995, Super Famicom)
- セクシーパロディウス Sexy Parodius (1996, arcade)
At the end of stage 2 you have to play Rock Paper Scissors. If you lose, you have to play the stage again; if it's a draw you have to fight.
- Yellow Bell
- All minor enemies on the screen will die...
- White Bell
- Wrap around horizontally. You can fly of the screen and appear at the other side.
- Green Bell
- Wrap around vertically. You can fly of the screen and appear at the other side.
- Cyan Bell
- Time Freeze. Stops scrolling & enemies for a few seconds.
- Purple Bell
- Mine. Destroys all enemies on the same height.
- Blue Bell
- Rotary drill. You are immune to most enemies for some time.
- Dark green
- Bell Up Laser. You have Up Laser for some time.
- Red Bell
- Vector Laser. You have Vector Laser for some time.
There are three known bonus stages.
The first is in stage 1. When you have defeated the moai, fly under its neck.
The second is in stage 4. At a certain point, you have to fly up out of the screen or you'll hit a dead end. Fly into the dead end, and go to the far upper right corner.
The third is in stage 5. Fly under all the jumping gravestones, after the part of empty space.
The following passwords have an effect. To enter, press <F1> to pause the game, type the password, press <ENTER> and <F1> to resume the game.
* ZENBU You get full power up. The password literally means "everything". * KONAMI Always red bell-power (Vector Laser). * BUTAKO Always dark green bell-power (Up Laser). * TAKO18TH Always dark blue bell-power (Rotary Drill). * PARO Always white bell-power (wrap around horizontally). * KATAI Increases the Shield durability. It doesn't work with ZENBU, though.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details