Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
For other places named Pella, see: Pella (disambiguation).
|Elevation:|| Lowest: southeastern part|
Highest: northwestern part
|Car designation:||EE (Edessa)|
|Code for the municipalities :||41xx|
|Number of provinces:||3|
|Number of municipalities:||11|
|Number of independent communes:||none|
|Area/distance code:||11-30-238x0 (030-238x0)|
|Postal code||58x xx|
|Name of inhabitants:|| Pellan sing.|
(also in Greek)
- Main article History of Pella.
Pella was the palace-capital of ancient Macedon, removed from the older capital (Vergina), the seat of Philip II of Macedon and of Alexander the Great, his son. Pella was sacked by the Romans in 168 BC, when its treasury was transported to Rome.
The mountains lie to the north and the southwest especially the Vermio mountains, the Voras mountains to the northwest and the Paiko mountains to the northeast. Pella is bounded with the prefectures of Kilkis to the northeast, Thessaloniki to the east, Imathia to the south, Kozani to the southwest, Lake Vegolitida to the southwestl, Florina to the west and the Republic of Macedonia/FYROM to the north with the district of Brod to the northwest and Gevgeli to the northeast.
In the base of the description of Titus Livius, the site was excavated by voyagers including Holand, Pouqueville, Beaujour, Cousinéry, Delacoulonche, Hahn, Glotz and Struck in the 19th century. The first excavation began by G. Oikonomos in 1914-1915, the systematic exploration of the site began in 1953 and excavated in 1957. The first series of campaigns were completed in 1963 including more excavations in 1980 and still continue in the agora part.
Agriculture is very common to the south and mainly produces fruits.
- GR-1 (old highway), SE
- GR-2 , W, SW, Cen., E, SE
- Edessa - Verroia road, S
|Municipality||YPES code||Seat||Postal code||Area code ((0)30-)|
|Krya Vrysi||4106||Krya Vrysi||583 00||23820-6|
|Kyrros||4107||Neos Mylopotamos||581 00||23820-51|
|Megas Alexandros||4108||Galatades||583 00||23820-43|
- See also: Communities of Pella
- Ph. Petsas , Pella. Alexander the Great's Capital, Thessaloniki, 1977.
- D. Papakonstandinou-Diamandourou , Πέλλα. ιστορικί επισκόπησις και μαρτυρίαι Pella istoriki episkopisis kai martyriai (, in Greek), Thessaloniki, 1971.
- R. Ginouvès e. a., La Macédoine , CNRS Éditions, Paris, 1993, 90-98.
- F. Papazoglou , Les villes de Macédoine romaine , BCH Suppl. 16, 1988, 135-139.
- Princeton Encyclopedia of Classical Sites (via Perseus)
- Macedonian Heritage
- Greek Ministry of Culture
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details