Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
The city of Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky (Петропавловск-Камчатский) (pop. 200,000) is the industrial, scientific, and cultural center of Kamchatka, Russia. It was founded by the explorer Vitus Bering, who reached Avacha Bay in 1740 and laid the foundation stone for the port of Petropavlovsk, which is named after his two ships, the St. Peter and the St. Paul, built in Okhotsk for his second expedition.
Petropavlovsk was a great source of fish (salmon especially) and crab meat for the USSR in the 20th century; however since the end of the Soviet era fishing rights have been granted to foreign interests. The city is situated on high hills and surrounded by volcanoes. In fact you can't clearly see the horizon from any point of town - volcanoes and mountains are everywhere.
The town has developed a tourist infrastructure. About 20 big tourism companies offer a wide range of services from bear hunting to paragliding.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details