Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
As a young child in South Africa, Ramone was a musical prodigy, beginning to play the violin at age three and perfoming for Queen Elizabeth II at age ten. In the late 1940s he trained as a classical violinist at The Juilliard School, where one classmate of his was Phil Woods.
In 1961 he established an independent recording studio, A & R Recording . There he quickly gained a reputation as a sound engineer and music producer, in particular for his use of innovative technology. Among those whose music he has produced are Burt Bacharach, Ray Charles, Natalie Cole, Bob Dylan, Gloria Estefan, Aretha Franklin, Billy Joel, Elton John, Quincy Jones, B. B. King, Madonna, Paul McCartney, Sinéad O'Connor, Luciano Pavarotti, Andre Previn, Paul Simon, Frank Sinatra, Rod Stewart, and James Taylor. He is also credited with recording Marilyn Monroe's rendition of Happy Birthday to You to President John F. Kennedy.
Among the technical innovations he introduced at A&R are four-track recorders, optical surround sound for movies, and digital recording techniques. His studio was the first to release music commercially on compact disc; Joel's 52nd Street was the first album to be broadly released on the medium.
Ramon has won nine Grammy awards:
- 1965 - Best Engineered Recording (non classical), for Getz/Gilberto
- 1970 - Best Musical Show Album for producing Promises, Promises
- 1976 - Album of the Year for producing "Still Crazy After All These Years"
- 1979 - Record of the Year for producing "Just The Way You Are"
- 1960 - Album of the Year for producing 52nd Street
- 1981 - Producer of the Year (non classical)
- 1984 - Best Album Of Original Score Written For A Motion Picture Or A Television Special, for Flashdance
- 1995 - Best Musical Show Album for producing Passion
- 2003 - Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album, for producing "Playin' With My Friends: Bennett Sings The Blues"
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details