Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Philips Stadion is the 36,500 seater stadium of the football club, PSV Eindhoven. It was first inaugurated on 31 August 1913. The area where the stadium is located is the Philipsdorp, where the Philips company is located. As late as 1933, its capacity was only 300, and remained that size until its expansion in 1941 to 18,000 spectators.
The final days of World War II witnessed great destruction in the city of Eindhoven and also to the stadium itself. Repairs were duly made, culminating in the expansion of the stadium to 22,000 capacity in 1958. Further expansions of the stadium led to its current capacity.
While not a large stadium by European standards, Philips Stadion was also one of the Dutch venues during the Euro 2000 tournament co-hosted by Belgium and the Netherlands, and is rated a four-star stadium by UEFA, which means that it can be used as the host venue for a UEFA Cup final. UEFA indeed chose to bring the UEFA Cup final to the facility in 2006.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details