Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
The notion of physical fitness is used in two close meanings.
They are usually taught by ex-military personnel. Very often the instructors held highly regarded positions within various military organizations. Often times the instructors were formerly Drill instructors, Special Forces Operatives or held otherwise distinguished positions.
These courses always have some common elements. They often focus on military style calisthenics and group runs. The courses are often held very early in the morning and will meet in almost any weather. Students can expect push-ups, sit-ups, pullups, and jumping jacks, as well as more obscure drills such as flutter kicks , sun worshippers and flares. Almost invariably a workout will include short runs while longer runs are more scheduled.
One of the oldest courses is The Seal PT Course which is held in Houston and in New York City. These courses have been growing more popular lately and are available in more and more locations across the country. SealFit is a Military Fitness website that maintains a list of courses in various areas, as well as facilitating communication between the students of various programs.
For the most part these Seal team or Military style workouts are a great workout, but not for the faint of heart. In some cases the instructors do or die strategy will push the average person too far, and possibly to injury. For a beginner or just a white-collar weekend warrior these routines may be too advanced.
- National Physical Fitness Award
- Physical Fitness Badge
- President's Council on Physical Fitness and Sports
- Exercise and Physical Fitness - from MedlinePlus
- National Association for Health and Fitness (NAHF) a non-profit organization that exists to improve the quality of life for individuals in the United States through the promotion of physical fitness, sports and healthy lifestyles and by the fostering and supporting of Governorís and State Councils on physical fitness and sports in every state and U.S. territory. Sponsor of National Employee Health and Fitness.
- The BSA Physical Fitness Award Boy Scouts of America - A Program of Emphasis for Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Venturers, and Leaders
- Physical Fitness - Cub Scout Academics & Sports Guide
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details