Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Pi Kappa Alpha
|nicknames: Pikes, Pi Kaps, Pikas, Pi K As|
|Founded||March 1, 1868|
|International Headquarters||Memphis, TN|
|Official Colors||Garnet and Old Gold|
|Official Flower||Lily of the Valley|
Pi Kappa Alpha is a social fraternity with 280 chapters and colonies in the United States and Canada. The fraternity was founded at the University of Virginia on March 1, 1868 at a time when that university was the fifth largest school in the United States. There were six Founders: Robertson Howard, Julian Edward Wood, James Benjamin Sclater, Jr., Frederick Southgate Taylor, Littleton Waller Tazewell (Bradford), and William Alexander.
- Chad O. Holliday - CEO, DuPont
- R. Lamar Durrett - Former CEO, Air Canada
- Rick Dees - Radio personality
- Tim McGraw - Country music star
- John Stewart - TV personality
- Ted Koppel - TV personality
- Horace Grant - NBA player, Chicago Bulls
- Bobby Bowden - Head Football Coach, Florida State University
- Thad Cochran - U.S. Senator, State of Mississippi
- Stephen R. Covey - CEO FranklinCovey Co.
- Richard Simmons - CEO Simmons Inc
Sunday Evening, March 1, 1868
University of Virginia, Room 47, West Range
For the establishment of friendship on a firmer and more lasting basis
For the promotion of brotherly love and kind feeling
For the mutual benefit and advancement of the interests of those with whom we sympathize and deem worthy of our regard
We have resolved to form a fraternity, believing that, thus we can most successfully accomplish our object.
Julian Edward Wood
James Benjamin Sclater, Jr.
Frederick Southgate Taylor
Littleton Waller Tazewell (Bradford)
Pikes once, Pikes twice
For all the best, Pikes thrice!
Get out of the way 'cause here we come
Pi KA is number one!
Goooooo Pikes! Boolah Boolah"
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details