Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Pleasant Hill, California
Pleasant Hill is a city located in Contra Costa County, California, in the East Bay of the San Francisco Bay Area. As of the 2000 census, the city had a total population of 32,837. It was incorporated in 1961. Pleasant Hill is the home of Diablo Valley College, John F Kennedy University and the Central branch of the Contra Costa County Library system.
As of the census2 of 2000, there are 32,837 people, 13,753 households, and 8,403 families residing in the city. The population density is 1,788.2/km² (4,633.6/mi²). There are 14,034 housing units at an average density of 764.3/km² (1,980.3/mi²). The racial makeup of the city is 81.77% White, 1.53% Black or African American, 0.47% Native American, 9.43% Asian, 0.27% Pacific Islander, 2.32% from other races, and 4.19% from two or more races. 8.43% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There are 13,753 households out of which 28.0% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.4% are married couples living together, 9.1% have a female householder with no husband present, and 38.9% are non-families. 29.1% of all households are made up of individuals and 9.5% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.35 and the average family size is 2.95.
In the city the population is spread out with 21.3% under the age of 18, 7.2% from 18 to 24, 32.4% from 25 to 44, 25.8% from 45 to 64, and 13.2% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 39 years. For every 100 females there are 94.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there are 90.8 males.
The median income for a household in the city is $67,489, and the median income for a family is $79,001. Males have a median income of $57,278 versus $42,013 for females. The per capita income for the city is $33,076. 5.0% of the population and 2.7% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 3.2% of those under the age of 18 and 4.8% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line.
Pleasant hill is home to many parks, including:
- Pleasant Hill Park - Gregory Lane. Sports fields, lighted surfaced court & softball field, sand volleyball courts, swimming pool, children's play areas, picnic/barbecue areas, restrooms, 16.5 acres.
- Rodgers-Smith Park - Grayson Road. Sports field, sand volleyball court, children's play area, surfaced courts, picnic/barbecue area, lighted bocce courts, restrooms, 4.5 acres.
- Paso Nogal Park - Paso Nogal Road. Open space, turfed meadow, hiking trails, 63 acres.
- Pleasant Oaks Park - near P.H. Adult Center. Sports fields, children's play area, 11 acres.
- Brookwood Park - Northwest corner of Taylor and Withers. Turf area, exercise course, surfaced court, picnic/barbecue areas, children's play area, 6.3 acres.
- Dinosaur Hill Park - off Taylor Blvd. Open space, hiking, scenic views, 13 acres.
- Frank Salfingere Park - Community Center. Passive turf area, 1.5 acres.
- Pinewood Park - near Strandwood Elementary. Children's play area, 0.3 acres.
- Chilpancingo Park - Golf Club Road. Passive turf area, 2.5 acres.
- Shadowood Park - Spar Court, off Camelback Road. Turf, picnic/ barbecue, children's play area, 2.6 acres.
- Contra Costa Canal Trail - (broken line) 11.5 miles: Willow Pass Road in Concord south into Walnut Creek; north through Pleasant Hill to the city limits. Connects with the California Riding/Hiking Trial. For hikers, joggers, bicyclists, and equestrians.
- Shannon Hills Park - Devon Avenue. Turf, children's play area, natural creek, 2.5 acres.
- Ridgeview Open Space Area - Paso Nogal Road. Hiking, scenic views, 56 acres.
- Las Juntas - Open space on Contra Costa Canal Trail, west of Lucille, 7 acres.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details