Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Plymouth County, Massachusetts
Plymouth County is a county located in the state of Massachusetts. As of 2000, the population is 472,822. Its county seats are Plymouth and Brockton6. The executive authority of the County government is vested in the County Commissioners. The current Commissioners are Chairman Timothy J. McMullen (D- Pembroke), John Patrick Riordan, Jr. (D- Marshfield), and Jeffrey M. Welch, (D- Abington). Register of Deeds John R. Buckley, Jr. (D- Brockton) and County Treasurer John F. McLellan (D- Abington), also serve as elected officials of the county of Plymouth. In the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Sheriffs departments have been funded by the state since 1991, and as such are not considered county officials.
As of the census2 of 2000, there are 472,822 people, 168,361 households, and 122,398 families residing in the county. The population density is 276/km² (716/mi²). There are 181,524 housing units at an average density of 106/km² (275/mi²). The racial makeup of the county is 88.70% White, 4.56% Black or African American, 0.21% Native American, 0.92% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 3.06% from other races, and 2.52% from two or more races. 2.44% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There are 168,361 households out of which 36.30% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.00% are married couples living together, 11.90% have a female householder with no husband present, and 27.30% are non-families. 22.20% of all households are made up of individuals and 9.00% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.74 and the average family size is 3.23.
In the county the population is spread out with 26.80% under the age of 18, 7.20% from 18 to 24, 30.40% from 25 to 44, 23.90% from 45 to 64, and 11.80% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 37 years. For every 100 females there are 95.00 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there are 91.30 males.
The median income for a household in the county is $55,615, and the median income for a family is $65,554. Males have a median income of $45,535 versus $31,389 for females. The per capita income for the county is $24,789. 6.60% of the population and 4.90% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 8.30% of those under the age of 18 and 7.90% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line.
Cities, towns, and villages*
- -- Cedar Crest (a village of Duxbury)
- -- South Duxbury (a village of Duxbury)
- East Bridgewater
- -- North Lakeville (a village of Lakeville)
- -- Marion Center (a village of Marion)
- -- Brant Rock (a village of Marshfield)
- -- Green Harbor (a village of Marshfield)
- -- Marshfield Hills (a village of Marshfield)
- -- Ocean Bluff (a village of Marshfield)
- -- Mattapoisett Center (a village of Mattapoisett)
- -- Middleborough Center (a village of Middleborough)
- -- North Pembroke (a village of Pembroke)
- -- North Plymouth (a village of Plymouth)
- -- White Island Shores (a village of Plymouth)
- -- North Scituate (a village of Scituate)
- -- Onset (a village of Wareham)
- -- Wareham Center (a village of Wareham)
- -- West Wareham (a village of Wareham)
- -- Weweantic (a village of Wareham)
- West Bridgewater
* Villages are census division, but have no separate corporate existence from the towns they are in.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details