Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Possible film and music synchronizations
If you begin the album on the third roar of the MGM lion (using the NTSC version of the movie, not the 25 frame/s PAL version which runs a little over 4% faster) the coincidences include (but are not limited to):
- The line "balanced on the biggest wave" comes as Dorothy balances on the fence.
- The song "On the Run" starts as Dorothy falls off the fence.
- "The Great Gig in the Sky" begins when the tornado first appears.
- The song "Us and Them" is played when Dorothy meets the Wicked Witch of the West.
- The line "black and blue" is repeated when Dorothy and the Witch are talking to each other (Dorothy in her blue outfit, the Wicked Witch in black).
- The line "the lunatic is on the grass..." coincides with Dorothy meeting the Scarecrow.
- When we first see Miss Gulch on her bicycle, the song "Time" starts with its bells and alarms.
- Dorothy asks Professor Marvel what else he sees in his crystal ball as the line "thought I'd something more to say" comes along in the song "Time".
- As the Scarecrow sings "If I Only Had a Brain", Pink Floyd sings "Brain Damage".
- Side 1 of the original vinyl album (up to the end of "The Great Gig in the Sky") is exactly as long as the black and white portion of the film.
- As Dorothy listens to the Tin Man's chest, the album ends with the famous heartbeat sound effect.
2001: A Space Odyssey and the Pink Floyd song Echoes
Echoes, if synchronized properly, goes well with the final segment of the 1968 Stanley Kubrick film, titled "Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite." Though Roger Waters is said to have "regretted" not contributing music to the film, no member of the band has ever declared the synchronization intentional. Most movements of the song line up nicely with the movie. The synchronization is enhanced by the fact that most of "Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite" is silent, and the song has certain cinematic qualities.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details