Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Lavaka Ata 'Ulukalala
Prince Lavaka Ata 'Ulukalala (born 12 July 1959) is the current Prime Minister of Tonga. He has been Prime Minister since 3 January 2000. He was also the foreign minister from October 1998 until August 2004 and the defense minister from October 1998 until September 2004.
He joined the naval arm of the Tonga Defense Services in 1982 and became Lieutenant-Commander of the defense force in 1987. From 1990 to 1995 he commanded the PPB Voea Pangai and his time in charge included peacekeeping operations in Bougainville. In 1998 he ended his military career in order to take over from his brother Tupouto'a, who retired as Minister for Foreign Affairs and Defense.
- 2004 - Minister of Civil Aviation; Minister responsible for Communications; Minister of Defence; Minister of Marine and Ports; Minister of Works and Disaster Relief Activities
- 2001 - Minister of Civil Aviation & Minister of Communications
- 2000 - Prime Minister, Minister for Agriculture and Forestry, Minister of Fisheries, Minister of Marine and Ports
- 1998 - Minister for Foreign Affairs & Defence
- 1991-1995 - Commander of the Navy, Tonga Defence Services, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Defence
- 1998 - Master of Arts in International Relations, Bond University, Queensland, Australia
- 1997 - Masters in Defence Studies, University of New South Wales, Australia
- 1995 - Graduate Diploma of Strategic Studies, Australian Joint Services Staff College, Australia
- 1988 - Diploma in Strategic Studies, United States Naval War College, Newport, Rhode Island, USA.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details