Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
The Pulaski Bridge in New York City connects Long Island City in Queens to Greenpoint in Brooklyn over Newtown Creek. It is named after Polish military commander and American Revolution fighter Kazimierz Pułaski (Casimir Pulaski), probably because of the large Polish population in Greenpoint.
The Pulaski Bridge, designed by Frederick Zurmuhlen and opened to traffic on September 10, 1954, is a bascule bridge, a type of drawbridge. It carries six lanes of traffic and a pedestrian sidewalk over the water, Long Island Railroad tracks, and the entrance to the Queens Midtown Tunnel. The pedestrian sidewalk is on the west side of the bridge, which has good views of the industrial areas surrounding Newtown Creek, the skyline of Manhattan, and of a number of other bridges, including the Williamsburg Bridge, the Queensboro Bridge, and the Kosciuszko Bridge. It was reconstructed in 1994.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details