Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
The town was founded in the 18th century as the summer residence of the Russian tsars under the name "Tsarskoye Selo" (Royal Village). Nicholas II of Russia and his family lived in the Alexander Palace until they were moved to Tobolsk on July 31, 1917.
In 1918 the town was renamed "Detskoe Selo" (Children's Village). In 1937 the name was changed into Pushkin, to commemorate the centenary of the tragic death of Alexander Pushkin, a great Russian poet.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details